1973 3.0 CSi - A resto project

FGS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone knows where to find the white plastic top bolts which hold in place the headlights inspection wells? Mine are stuck and maybe we'll need to cut them. Unfortunately.

Thanks

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Anyone knows where to find the white plastic top bolts which hold in place the headlights inspection wells? Mine are stuck and maybe we'll need to cut them. Unfortunately.

Thanks

The white top bolts are NLA.
You can buy black topped bolts

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
soak them in penetrant for a few days or longer first

Thanks

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
NLA from BMW, i believe i got the last 6 in the USA 1.5 years ago. do your best to get them off without damage. you might try taking the grilles off, and the light buckets off ... then soak them from the underside.

if you have to destroy them, take vice-grips to them and separate the plastic from the machine screw ... then you should be able to get them out. i hope you don't have to do this though.

you can get black ones from W+N.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
+1 or maybe get some vice gips onto the bottom threads and break them free from below and sparing damage to the plastic?

NLA from BMW, i believe i got the last 6 in the USA 1.5 years ago. do your best to get them off without damage. you might try taking the grilles off, and the light buckets off ... then soak them from the underside.

if you have to destroy them, take vice-grips to them and separate the plastic from the machine screw ... then you should be able to get them out. i hope you don't have to do this though.

you can get black ones from W+N.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
+1 or maybe get some vice gips onto the bottom threads and break them free from below and sparing damage to the plastic?

one minor problem - the threads don't drop below the surface of the metal. my grilles are out and i went out and checked.

Stefan

Reaction score
one minor problem - the threads don't drop below the surface of the metal. my grilles are out and i went out and checked.

That's weird,
Check underneath. There should be the square nut (same as holding the brake fluid reservoir)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You could ask Ben at LJI, he got me 6 originals-new, white with no wait time. Maybe he has a secret manufacturer :)... or I could have just gotten lucky-

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You could ask Ben at LJI, he got me 6 originals-new, white with no wait time. Maybe he has a secret manufacturer :)... or I could have just gotten lucky-
the chance is that a restorer like LJI had a stock of them. its kinda like the belt trim t-bolts and the nuts with the rubber cushion ... NLA from BMW with no stock at any dealer to do the entire car. i got 50 of both from Korman.

FGS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Now the car has been sand blasted, fixed in many points and then primed (I'll post some photos tomorrow).

There is something that I don't understand: sand blasted cars have a kind of step on the front edge, where front fenders link with the upper nose. However, I can't spot it on finished cars. Should it be molded with metal?

DSC_0617_zpsfgnlz035.jpg

FGS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Some more rust...

24461344249_3318db2307_c.jpg

24533460310_b7dc618eda_c.jpg

24533461070_d44c08a284_c.jpg

24802723916_b2f82b1d96_c.jpg

25179988275_b7ff067fb4_c.jpg

BTW, I've seen some CSi with the black kidneys and some other in bare aluminium: did they changed color in some year? What's the correct color for 1973?

FGS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Now I've dismantled the engine which needs to be completely overhauled: cylinders must rebored and a new piston set is needed as the original ones where scratched.
One of the things I need is the thermostat housing: the original is in creepy conditions.
Can I find it somewhere? I've found one but it has a four bolt pattern on the engine side, while this one has three.

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
front nose/ fender detail

Hi FGS

like Chris mentioned, indeed fill the gaps.

This pic is from an E9 body that was on display during the 2012 Essen Motor show on the BMW stand itself.

sorry for the cellphone pics. If i had known then how often I would look at these pics as a reference for my own body work, i would have brought a proper camera....

Erik.

Attachments

• P4030094.jpg
    P4030094.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 304

FGS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi FGS

like Chris mentioned, indeed fill the gaps.

This pic is from an E9 body that was on display during the 2012 Essen Motor show on the BMW stand itself.

sorry for the cellphone pics. If i had known then how often I would look at these pics as a reference for my own body work, i would have brought a proper camera....

Erik.

Thank you, actually that's quite clear even by the cell photos what you're talking about. The bodyman must do a very nice job as the car will be black.