1972 Golf Yellow CSL for sale…possibly!

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Having a car hit RNM on a public auction only serves as validation that the public doesn’t value the vehicle as much as the seller. Historically CSL’s have performed quite poorly on BaT.
Not so sure about that. The RHD car was a mess and sold for market correct price. The preceding two in 2021 were 280k and 220k, and they were (more boring) Polaris. Dan's car is a little scruffy in places (the trunk), but I think it would hit 300 given the color. Golf is rare and desirable.

And Dan's car has the correct wheels, steering wheel, shift knob, kidney grill, tires, etc, details that are often wrong on other cars.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not so sure about that. The RHD car was a mess and sold for market correct price. The preceding two in 2021 were 280k and 220k, and they were (more boring) Polaris. Dan's car is a little scruffy in places (the trunk), but I think it would hit 300 given the color. Golf is rare and desirable.

And Dan's car has the correct wheels, steering wheel, shift knob, kidney grill, tires, etc, details that are often wrong on other cars.

I totally agree about the condition and quality of the car. I’m just saying you don’t want to go to auction unless you are confident about the reserve. I think $300 is fair for the car. What we look for in an e9 is often quite different from BaT e9 buyers.

There have been four golf CSL’s listed on BaT. The only one that sold was painted black. None of them were as nice or as original as Dan’s car.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think there has been high grade, correct CSL with the detail and provenance to attract a collector to appear on BaT yet. Conversely there HAS been poorly restored cars with murky ownership history get close to 250. I think Dan's car on Bat would be a unique CSL offering.... IMHO

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good afternoon all!

Many thanks for the kind words of support regarding my 1972 CSL. I am happy to report that the car is now sold and that I got my asking price. I was actually contacted by an old restoration customer of mine in Mexico, so I know the car is going to a very good home.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in on the car.

Cheers!

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good afternoon all!

Many thanks for the kind words of support regarding my 1972 CSL. I am happy to report that the car is now sold and that I got my asking price. I was actually contacted by an old restoration customer of mine in Mexico, so I know the car is going to a very good home.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in on the car.

Cheers!
Vaya con dios!

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great job on the sale....I was going to say you have great taste in color.....LOL. And as far as not show quality....to me, a CSL in ANY condition is welcome at any show....period. I'm sure that decision wasn't easy but it sounds like it went to a great caretaker......now you can roll half of your proceeds into my Bav......kidding....kidding...great job...

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that is phenomenal ... quick sale - full ask - good new caretaker. well done!
Dan do you still have your other coupe? just hoping that we will still see you here on the forum. with any luck, i will be in the Austin area later this year, hopefully we can come see you and teamcj.
Hi Scott!
Thank you, and yes, my Fjord CSi is a keeper. At the price point I can’t think of any car in the world I’d swap it for?
Keep me posted when you come to Austin. I would love to show you what we have going on!
Cheers!
Dan

Hussar13

Reaction score
I would just like to congratulate Dan on a stunning vehicle that any of us would be thrilled to own and drive. I wish you the best in ascertaining the best way forward. And to all who have chimed in, I greatly appreciate learning from your combined wisdom and history. I truly enjoy reading so many thoughtful and cogent comments.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is such a great story, and a very informative read, as others have noted. Look how quickly this all happened! I am especially pleased you didn't have to go through the BAT process and have to respond to all the inane comments and carefully answer while trying hard to not type in, what you really would like to say! Congrats Dan. :)