1972 Golf Yellow CSL for sale…possibly!

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Greetings everyone!

I have decided it’s probably time to sell my CSL and thought I should mention it here first. This is the ex-Billy Baker car that I bought from Roger Beckham four years ago. I would describe the car as a ”very high quality driver”, a little short of being a show car. Freshly serviced, running and driving perfectly. Needs nothing other than a new owner, as the saying goes.

My photographer took tons of photos that can be viewed at the link below, including the dreaded areas behind the outer sill covers!

Watching recent sales, I’m not certain now is the best time to sell a CSL! It seems the CSi and/or modified CS cars are more the flavor of the month? Nevertheless, I thought I’d dip a toe in the market. If I can’t get $285k for the car, she can stay in the collection for a while longer. I’m not in a rush to sell. I’d be interested to hear what you guys think about the car, good and bad, and about my perceived valuation.

Regards to all!

Dan Mooney
teamcj.com
@teamcjworks on Insta

143C0514-6032-4983-889A-2C8F12DCAA1A.jpeg

387A1DAB-2959-421F-A121-EA6B01BB90FA.jpeg

105573C3-F9D4-4523-B09D-1EAEDBA0DC87.jpeg

8B72EBEA-CFF7-4B02-A179-0BB44C0CA54E.jpeg

AFE7FE4C-CE06-452F-9C3E-0797AD93E38F.jpeg

4E97835E-0928-42A2-AF43-49733B8F8DBE.jpeg

EE776DE3-6833-4E63-B999-C42B2CDDCC1B.jpeg

D166B944-F1D2-4177-B43D-E4947F574DC9.jpeg

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Seriously? NOT a show car???
Stunning!
Thanks Stan. I’m sure it would do very well at the local show level. What I really mean to express by saying it is ‘not quite show level’ is to say that it is not a totally restored car. It has some minor flaws that you would expect of a high quality driver. Because of my day job in the restoration biz, my ‘show car’ definition would mean a car that is as good (or better) than new.
Cheers!

Sam Lever

Reaction score
That is one sweet motor car Dan. Wow. If my 'not show car' matched your 'not show car' I'd be an even happier man than I already am! Good luck with the sale. Your car is in such a vibrant colour and looks bang on. I have no opinion on valuation, but it certainly deserves to achieve top money.
Best of luck,
Sam.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
What I like about this car is that it is honest. Honest seller, honest description, honest presentation. The car has had some work done but it is definitely one of the more original examples out there. It is very nice, but hasn’t been fluffed up just in time for sale. The last three owners including Dan are enthusiasts and forum members.

Seriously? NOT a show car???
Stunning!

I think this is what @Dan Mooney means when he says “show car”.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I know Roger and photographed the car for him at his home in Georgia. ( Haven't spoken to Roger in 5 years or more)
He was very secretive about the car and hardly anyone in the area had seen it out.
I got to drive it a few miles.
It was a great car that just needed some TLC cosmetically at the time.
Good to see it resurface.

Gary

Attachments

• Roger CSL.jpg
    Roger CSL.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this is an extremely nice CSL from before Dan bought it ... i am quite certain that it is even better now. i think Dan is very conservative in his overview ... and Tyson has it correctly - investment grade - an original special color all well maintained and cared for. we wish you the best of luck with the sale and it finds as great of a home that it currently has.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice one, and your ask is fair. I would put it on BaT Premium with a 270 reserve and see what happens. Even if it does not sell, you will get a very large national exposure for a very cheap price. And I bet it will sell....

BaT doesn't make anything if it goes RNM and you make a post-block deal with the buyer, so very fair.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice one, and your ask is fair. I would put it on BaT Premium with a 270 reserve and see what happens. Even if it does not sell, you will get a very large national exposure for a very cheap price. And I bet it will sell....

BaT doesn't make anything if it goes RNM and you make a post-block deal with the buyer, so very fair.
Undoubtedly very good advice, although I really don't think I want to deal with the BaT peanut gallery. :rolleyes:

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan, we got your back on this one. i know its painful, but your L is such a nice car, they can only drool that most of them cannot own it.
Ha! Thanks Scott. I realize I would probably be foolish not to at least consider BaT. We'll see....

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ha! Thanks Scott. I realize I would probably be foolish not to at least consider BaT. We'll see....

Having a car hit RNM on a public auction only serves as validation that the public doesn’t value the vehicle as much as the seller. Historically CSL’s have performed quite poorly on BaT.