1972 BMW CS 3.0 Automatic in San Diego County- $25,000

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Exploding. 10% is showing the actual amount of rust lurking. Probably was near the Pacific coast.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow they say and I quote : "There is very little rust on the car" o_O Not clear what their definition of little is but too much for me!

Technically we have seen very little rust. All best guesses without a PPI. I’ve had two very rusty e9’s and none have been rusted out below the window trim. When I see that it always gives me pause.

Seeing that they body matched the heater cover, I’m guessing the restoration glossed over some problem areas. That is why you are seeing filler swelling in funny areas.

I don’t see any rust on the roof. That is paint failing and a bad sunroof seal.

Rust at the windscreen base doesn’t translate into rust in the glovebox. The glovebox rust comes from a rusted out shock tower. The tower gets pinholes. Once this starts water after drips into the fender box and pools at the firewall (above the glovebox).

The windscreen corner is actually the outer fender, which extends towards the center of the windscreen several inches. Under that is another two layers of sheetmetal that the fender rests on.

The upper door metal rusting must be from salty condensation inside the door. Water can’t pool there, and I’ve seen it most on coastal cars (as @teahead mentioned).

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For $10,000 more you can have the 2800CS that Racerex is selling in the same county - which appears to be a smarter buy. But @Markos is correct, its all SWAG until a PPI is done.