1972 BMW 3.0CS Project

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
typical E9 rust. Shock towers don't look TOO bad, but really hard to tell w/the black spray bomb. Really hard to tell period until you pick all that stuff off. Weird place for the fenders/doors to rust.

Anything more than $10k, not worth it imho. It will take MINIMUM $40k to restore if you do a lot of disassembly/assembly yourself:

$25k paint/body (at least),
$5k interior (minimum),
$5k 5-speed conversion (optional but seriously, who wants a slushbox?),
$5k suspension/electrics/engine re-seal/carb refresh/AC work. This of course, assumes the engine is good.

Bright work (stainless/chrome) will be another$5k minimum if you want a really nice #2 car.

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Maybe it's not rust, but damage?

1974_bmw_3-0cs_1536605864fcd208F08E6C55-5C7C-4FA5-9DBB-C98E24A0ADC8.jpg

Is that from the door brake not working?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
could be…. perhaps a rough repair on that . I once had the same when the car rolled of the lift , hitting a post with the door , ripping it out ... :mad:

doemme 001.JPG

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
13975ABA-33E6-4E23-9566-93A046CD5E09.jpeg
Does this car look like it has AC?
In fact in has AC!
Notice the AC controls , one controls the temperature and the other controls the fan speed only for AC ! None AC E9 don’t have this section and they have empty storage shelf under the vents and in front of the shifter lever.

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Response from BMW classic archives reads as follows:

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 3.0 CS US Automatic VIN 2250090 was manufactured on March 14th, 1972 and delivered on March 28th, 1972 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Black, paint code 086.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Andreas Harz
--

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
looks like i got myself a new project! if i can get the body straight enough i my be painting this back to it original black!
Welcome to the forum. How did I miss this BaT auction? I must be sleeping at the wheel. Looks like a good starting point, and a decent starting cost (these days). And everyone here knows I like black cars! Can't wait to follow your discovery and transformation.