9F927C4B-34C7-47A6-9554-F5AEA6E93229.jpeg

Attachments

• 94FE98A9-F074-415A-8DD5-6FA35173DF56.jpeg
    94FE98A9-F074-415A-8DD5-6FA35173DF56.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 43

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
These were great brochures and probably helped sell a lot of Bavarias.

Note the painted rear panel on the green car. We did a whole thread on this a while back...

I think we sort of decided that panel was painted on Bavarias about April 71-June 72 or so (but there were probably lots of exceptions). It looks like BMW phased in changes "back in the day" rather than firm cut ins....except for changes (DOT, NTSB, etc) that had to apply to a specific model year. The top of dash "Fasten Seat Belt" light shown in the brochure would have been one of those required for the 73 model year. My July of 72 production (72 model year) does not have one.

The hub caps, trim rings, and argent painted steel wheels is a classic look. :cool: IMHO the only other look on these cars that comes close were the (dealer installed?) optional early E9 wheels...

IMG_8650.JPG

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
One other difference. In the brochure, the AC control functions are identified on the panel near the knobs. On my 72, the control functions are identified ON the knobs themselves.

Christoph

Reaction score
This is one great find. The brochure is so brilliantly composed. Always one picture of technical details American cars don't have, then another one with the best-known Munich or Bavarian tourist attractions. From a German point of view this must have been most clever. For North America, that is, it would not have worked in Europe. European catalogues are rather different.

It's a pity BMW sometimes omitted the print dates. This brochure has the No. 01 869 795 110 and describes the model year 1973. (Euro model years start end Sep./early Oct., just like US ones.) On my desk lies a similar brochure No. 01 869 795 110 for model year 1971 or 1971 1/2, as you like. BMW were a small manufacturer then, not the smallest as they write, that would have been Porsche, but great at recycling catalogue pictures. The texts of the two editions are identical, from the Olympic Games to the output of the alternator. Only the entry page was rearranged in a single column. My version has a dual column layout.

Green car, front left - 73 rubbers on overriders, 71/72 car. Early headrests (until approx. Sep. 72), ropes on B-pillar instead of handles above the rear doors (until when? 72, sunroof only). My version: 71 US rubbers on overriders, silver-grey(!) lateral grilles.
Blue car, front right - Exactly as before. Here they probably used two pictures. My version: The fog has moved a little, and the couple is holding hands.
Green car, rear right - Identical, only the windows have been de-tinted. For the second time, the green car two double pages before now has clear glass, too. Cars look the same up to the sticker on the fixed window in the left rear door.
Red car, front - Missing here. 71 - Just like green and blue.
Dashboard - New picture. 73 - 23 miles, empty tank, veneer around heater controls & a/c panel with words, FSB light. 71 - 5246 miles, tank 1/4 full, veneer with signs, blank a/c panel, no FSB sign.
Interior front left - Missing here. 71 - Vinyl Goldbraun, no seatbelts.
Interior rear - New picture. 73 - Vinyl Marineblau, new headrests with ears (front & rear), front seatbelts. 71 - Vinyl Goldbraun, early headrests, front only, no seatbelts.
Side note: BMW usually used beige or light brown interiors for the E3 catalogues except for some pictures between 1971 and 1973.
Green car, front - Missing here. Probably nothing new.
Automatic selector lever - Identical, but no 3.0 S Bavaria Series 2. Picture shows a 2500 Series 1 or maybe a 2800 Bavaria Series 1 with cloth upholstery.

On closer inspection, I've found some small differences in the text, e.g. the heated rear window went from optional to standard.

Some things I would not have noticed, had @Dick Steinkamp not mentioned them before.

@Frederick , hope you instantly bought the brochure.

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks, @Christoph ! I have several showroom brochures for the E3...many courtesy of @HB Chris...thanks again Chris.

IMG_8921.JPG

I believe the one on the far left is the same or similar to the one you compare to Frederick's which I think is the one on the far right. I had fun tracking your observations on both (I'm easily entertained ;)

The one in the center of my picture is French. 11 pages. All color. Beautiful pictures.

IMG_8922.JPG

Showroom brochures are a fun part of the hobby. And a good source of information (and misinformation).

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I bought it. Front cover is white like the one on the left. Not sure how many the sold because of the crank picture with seven!! main bearings. But that's the Germans.

Christoph

Reaction score
And 12 counterweights! And don't forget the elaborated rear suspension. That's us Germans, you are probably right.

Front cover of my Bavaria catalogue is all white, I thought they all were. The one with the metallic coloured rectangle might be an even earlier version. The 2500/2800 brochure from March 1969 has a silver square on the front, vertical layout.

@Dick Steinkamp : Your French catalogue is beautiful. I have the German and Dutch versions from July and September 1971 or vice versa. Some interesting small differences there. Funny how they included the 3.0 Si at the very last moment. Not even one car, only a small picture of the engine.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
And 12 counterweights! And don't forget the elaborated rear suspension. That's us Germans, you are probably right.
On my first trip to Germany I was amazed at your windows. They look like ordinary windows but open 12 different ways depending on exactly how you want to ventilate.
Front cover of my Bavaria catalogue is all white, I thought they all were. The one with the metallic coloured rectangle might be an even earlier version. The 2500/2800 brochure from March 1969 has a silver square on the front, vertical layout.
Mine with the silver rectangle on the left does not have a part number or a print date but it lists only one engine...170 cubic inches (192 BHP @ 6000). I think even in 1971 here in the US we would be calling a foreign car with that engine a 2800.
@Dick Steinkamp : Your French catalogue is beautiful. I have the German and Dutch versions from July and September 1971 or vice versa. Some interesting small differences there. Funny how they included the 3.0 Si at the very last moment. Not even one car, only a small picture of the engine.
That catalog is dated 9/71.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Well in honor of the Germans and their great cars, I am sipping Monkey 47 Gin, from the Black Forest. Cheers

CSBM5

Reaction score
I think we sort of decided that panel was painted on Bavarias about April 71-June 72 or so (but there were probably lots of exceptions). It looks like BMW phased in changes "back in the day" rather than firm cut ins....except for changes (DOT, NTSB, etc) that had to apply to a specific model year. The top of dash "Fasten Seat Belt" light shown in the brochure would have been one of those required for the 73 model year. My July of 72 production (72 model year) does not have one.

Dick,
My 1972 Bavaria, delivered in April 1972 (3102336), had the Fasten Seat Belt light on the dash from day one (father was original owner).

Chuck

CSBM5

Reaction score
One other difference. In the brochure, the AC control functions are identified on the panel near the knobs. On my 72, the control functions are identified ON the knobs themselves.

Also on my 1972 with factory delivered AC, the functions are on the panel. See attached (sorry for low quality pic, only one I have on laptop at the moment), oh and that seat belt sign I mentioned above is shown in this pic too:

Interior.jpg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dick,
My 1972 Bavaria, delivered in April 1972 (3102336), had the Fasten Seat Belt light on the dash from day one (father was original owner).

Chuck
Chuck,
I made a typo. My Bav is July of 1971 production, not July 1972 (3.0, 1972 model year).

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Also on my 1972 with factory delivered AC, the functions are on the panel. See attached (sorry for low quality pic, only one I have on laptop at the moment), oh and that seat belt sign I mentioned above is shown in this pic too:

I have even such a panel NOS for sale. ;-)

1674419834030.png