1972 3.0CSi - Riviera Blau Puzzle Project

Cyrano

Reaction score
Hi there,

The last few days were pretty active, even if I cannot spend as much time as I would like on the car.

The front and rear main supports were removed from the car. That allowed me to check a few things:

• Front: I bought a spare front axle support with the whole car. I installed it to check if it fits after removing the original one. The spare front support could be installed with good alignment. This is a fairly good news.

• Rear: The removal of the rear support allowed me to finish the cleaning of the protective coating. The bad news it that there are a lot of rust in the rear attachment screw, on the right side of the car. I will look at this in depth during the sill removal to see what must be changed.

Rear under support1.jpgRear under support2.jpgRear under support3.jpg

I am currently building a subframe to maintain the car in position during the body restauration.

I first replaced the axle supports with homemade ones. This was done pretty quickly. Bello is the rear support during final fitting before welding.

Support.jpg

The next step will be to install 2 main axial beam under the front and rear supports to make a complete frame.
In order to make the frame easier to manage (beams are heavy!), I plan to bolt the beam to the support, not weld them. That will limit the difficulties during installation and removal of the car on the frame.
It is not done yet, and should be completed in the next few days.

Cyrano

Reaction score
Hi there!

Some news on the project. The sub-frame took us more time than what I thought. The issue was not only to build the frame but make sure that we could dismantle it without cutting it in pieces once all the bodywork is done. Anyway, it is moving forward.

Before attaching the differential support, we took the opportunity to around it. The transverse support was slightly bent, and I put it back straight before to fit to the sub-frame. The material at the breach location was really soft and I wonder if it could have been annealed by the ageing/constraint (multiple bending/unbending). I will have to add a backplate to strengthen the overall assembly. A future fun task!

Differential Support, showing the bend.

IMG_3728.JPGIMG_3729.JPG

Putting the support back straight, before final fitting of the bench frame:

IMG_3777.JPGIMG_3784.JPG

Bench Frame - not yet completed:

IMG_3786.JPG

This is not a complete surprise, but I have now the assurance that the right side is shorter than the left side on the door area (distance between door hinge support on A-post and the door lock on B post is 5mm off). The weird thing is that I cannot find evidence of the bend in any other area around the fender, except a small bend on the front windshield frame.

I need to look into details on how to measure the fixation points of the front and rear supports to verify if the “A-post – B-post” distance issue is linked to the repaired rail frame. I don’t have the feeling this is the case but would prefer to measure it if I can.

Dimensions.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3700.JPG
    IMG_3700.JPG
    615.8 KB · Views: 38

merdad

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi,

My CSi had the same crack at differential mount about 22 years ago. Some guy that I can’t remember his name in Los Angeles adopted this support

Attachments

• IMG_6165.jpeg
    IMG_6165.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6166.jpeg
    IMG_6166.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6167.jpeg
    IMG_6167.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6164.jpeg
    IMG_6164.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 36

Cyrano

Reaction score
Hi Merdad,
Thanks a lot for the tip. This is very good pictures, and somehow good news if it lasts 22 years!