1971 2800CS Red Automatic $5,500 Salt Lake City

wasatch

Reaction score
Go easy on me friends, I know the tendency for annihilation on these threads:wink:

1971 BMW 2800 CS Automatic. $5,200 USD. Salt Lake City, UT.

http://photobucket.com/2800CS-UT

(Previously/currently on the E9 Forum, Jan. 20, 2012 'Red 1971 2800CS in San Diego')

I recently purchased the below E9 from a gentleman in San Diego who owned it for 1-year before he sold it to me. Prior to that it was, I'm told, a California-only car for decades. The car is now with me in Salt Lake City, Utah. I just purchased a restored E9, so that's where my attention is now. I'm not getting any younger, and want immediate gratification. I feel the asking price of this running project is commensurate with its condition (i.e.minimal rust, good interior, running condition, etc.) My asking price is what I paid for it 2 months ago: $5,500 USD. With a bit of work/minor sorting, it can make a good daily driver, or a candidate for a deeper and/or full restoration. I will rely on the last seller's original sale description (below, from January 2012), and the provided photos. I'm happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability given my limited ownership. The title is clean Californian, but I won't have it in my possession for another 3-4 weeks, as the CA DMV is processing a new one. Anyway, sale description is as follows. I plan on listing it on Ebay shortly if someone from the E9 community forum doesn't take it, but I know you all are the true enthusiasts and also opinionated based on proven expertise. I'm happy to take more photos, or help in any way I can to answer questions. If you're in the area, more than happy to show you the car.

Sales Description from Jan 2012:

Up for sale is my 1971 BMW 2800 CS Automatic. Running project car. Runs good fresh tune up, new water pump and fuel pump. Air conditioning even works. It's a California car, and was in storage for many year's in Southern California before the previous owner began to bring her back to life (in CA), and then then work that was done over the past year (in CA). It is definitely NOT in a category of parts car, especially given minimal rust and driving condition. It could be used with a small amount of work as a driver for a few years, or a candidate for a partial to full restoration.

In regards to the VERY critical E9 corrosion question, rust is found in small amounts in the following areas (Note: the rest of the body has been gone over VERY carefully, with paint removed, magnets, etc. and no other signs of rust or body damage has been found). Small amounts of rust found in the following:

• tops of front fenders.
• right side rail
• tire well
• 1 small section of rocker panel.

There is rust repair that has been done seemingly a long time ago in the hood compartment (where the bare metal is shown). The rust has been removed and patched correctly (i.e. it is gone).

Interior: Nice interior with black leather and no dash cracks. Leather is in fine condition throughout, no tears. Seats are in great condition. Carpet is clean and nice. This car needs interior side panels (as evidenced in photos).

• The car was originally BMW Night Blue/Nachtblu (color code 040).
• VIN: 2280100 (276 made in 1971)
• Starts immediately and runs fine. Needs new tires and brakes. The brakes being an immediate priority.
• Included in sale is a Getrag 262 4-speed transmission for conversion. It appears fine.
• Included in sale is a nice BMW Nardi steering wheel.
• Front passenger window, and rear windows are both stuck down, needs sorting. I'll plastic wrap windows for shipping…(as seen in the photos).
• Clear California title (title is being processed now, estimated arrival from CA DMV is April 10).
• No known accidents, straight body, minimal rust.
• Various side chrome/trim pieces in the trunk. Will need sorting.
• Sold 'as is'. No implied/expressed warranty: I described it to the best of my ability, and with all information provided to me. Understand, it's a running project car.
• Buyer is responsible for shipping/pickup. I will meet your shipper to ensure a smooth handoff.
• Payment: wire transfer or certified check. Full payment expected 3 days after written sale agreement.
It is a running project car. It's FAR, FAR better than a parts car especially given the minimal rust, and it's good running condition.
I'll happily show you the car in person. Serious inquiries only please to save our time.
Many thanks,
Philip
720.308.6999 (Please save calls between 10 AM-8 PM MST), or drakepld(at)gmail.com

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good Luck, looks like a project that has some potential.

wasatch

Reaction score
Sorry for the marketing, but a subtle bump. 23 hours remains on the Ebay auction with a bid at $4,500 and Buy it Now at $5,200. (reserve is sub-5). Thanks and apologies again on the marketing...P