1970 2800CS on BaT

BonitaCS

Reaction score
I was hoping for a little more. I talked with Carl last weekend and he thought it should go between $60k - $80k.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that's the range i was thinking it should fall in. sorry you took a hit for a very pretty coupe.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was hoping for a little more. I talked with Carl last weekend and he thought it should go between $60k - $80k.
I estimated the same. I just moved in to a new house and haven't sold the old one, otherwise I would have bid on this car.

jmackro

Reaction score
Well, that's the auction game. While some cars just get ignored, others get competitive bidders and their prices go stratospheric. There is a large luck element in any auction.

Maybe green wasn't this week's favorite color. Maybe needs like "The seller reports that the car pulls to the right and there is a leak from the left-front caliper" or "The heater works fine but the air conditioner does not" were just too much for the BaT crowd. BaT folks seem to be more about collecting and less about repairing; they will decline to bid if they can't get 100% perfection.

Last edited:

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I wonder if our insurance cost will start going down? Ha! Fat chance.
They'll go down if you reduce the 'agreed' or 'stated' value of the car is... If not, they won't....
If you want reduce that amount though... then the premium will (more or less in a linear fashion). When I have been making adjustments to the values of my three cars with Hagerty - the premium changes have been pretty consistent that way.

On a side note - There have been a decent amount E9's and E3's that have crossed BaT recently - at least compared to earlier times.
So - IMO a couple of different factors are at work on the recent lower hammer prices...
1- Supply and demand. Many folks that have wanted one of these have one now....
2 - Nice (but not exceptional) cars were - IMO - have been over valued recently.
The recent sales have been a correction to more of the $$ these cars should have been. granted, maybe an over-correction - but still a correction.
3 - Top Tier cars - As in the air-cooled 911 market, I think exceptional cars will still demand a decently high price IMO. The seller's job is to have the car in as good a shape as can be had (and how far that goes is entirely up to the seller). I think that if / when a truly exceptional car were to cross BaT now, the ending result would be more in line with recent higher values than we have been seeing recently on these (lesser?) cars. Case in point is the CSL that was represented on BaT recently. If the seller had its superficial shortcomings addressed and if he had been MUCH more humble and truthful in what the car is and was (and how it got there) - the results would be much better than where that one ended up at.

My nickel anyway.....