1968 BMW 1600GT

Boobouna

Reaction score
I recently imported a 1968 BMW 1600GT project car to Sydney from Japan. I’m currently storing it until I have time and money to restore. The car has been converted to RHD at some stage and does not have original engine. It has been painted red at some stage but was chamonix from factory. The engine block matches an e12 520i from UK so I can only guess this was converted to RHD in the UK. Interior is actually in overall good condition. The body has some areas of rust as expected but difficult to know the extent until stripped and sandblasted or dipped. Underneath wasn’t too bad either considering the age of the car. Very rare car and in my eyes a beautiful car.

c162d83ac8be57ff1c9fddbdba3bf15a.jpg
d5ff8663811883ee961941b50e6333c3.jpg
98ea386dad2597bd54a759510855f1e5.jpg
0dbd0c6ef1c5648629f6510739847fc6.jpg
4b95677bad35c6a5ec291f7030f1da31.jpg
9187e4df2944fda525844dbbb5a1ffdd.jpg
50ddfed81a54823840301a81a8cc35f9.jpg
3d7a548efbbac232ce52f499a99f54fe.jpg
683cb58c377060cbf2f41f1c0753c08e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wow. I do like that.
Might have to add that to the bucket list.
Don't know anything about them but suspect they'd handle pretty well?
Were they delivered to Aus when new?

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
gold mine wonderful find
i just saw a piece on auto channel or something about the convertable of that model
where ther is only one left in the world and bmw has it
you scored the interior looks fantastic
eight piece steering wheel -coool
into clamps lately look like all oem

Boobouna

Reaction score
Wow. I do like that.
Might have to add that to the bucket list.
Don't know anything about them but suspect they'd handle pretty well?
Were they delivered to Aus when new?

Hi Wes,
No these were not delivered to Australia. This was the brainchild of the Glas automotive company which was bought by BMW back in 1966. Their 1700GT coupe was rebadged as a BMW 1600GT following the addition of the 1600 engine and bmw transmission and suspension. A couple of cosmetic changes with the kidney grill and rear lights and there you have the BMW 1600GT. Only 1,259 were built. Designed by the famous Pietro Frua.

Reactions: Wes

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Wes,
No these were not delivered to Australia. This was the brainchild of the Glas automotive company which was bought by BMW back in 1966. Their 1700GT coupe was rebadged as a BMW 1600GT following the addition of the 1600 engine and bmw transmission and suspension. A couple of cosmetic changes with the kidney grill and rear lights and there you have the BMW 1600GT. Only 1,259 were built. Designed by the famous Pietro Frua.

Love it. If it ever needs re-homing let me know. Got a couple of friends it can play with :D

Boobouna

Reaction score
Love it. If it ever needs re-homing let me know. Got a couple of friends it can play with :D

To be fair I will need to make a judgement call at some stage. In a perfect world I would love to restore it. But realistically it’s not something I could even think of looking at for at least a couple of years. It’s a bit of a pipe dream but I couldn’t let it get away so I snapped it up as it is worth saving. Does it deserve to sit in storage for a few years untouched? Or should I let someone who is ready to go to restore it and enjoy it. It definitely deserves to be on the road sooner rather than later, which is something I cannot offer to it.

Reactions: Wes

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Excellent!! These are lovely cars. You know about the section over on 2002FAQ dedicated to the GTs ?

Ed

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Excellent!! These are lovely cars. You know about the section over on 2002FAQ dedicated to the GTs ?

Ed
As Mick said, "Time is on my side." Save it until you are ready. Why let it go when you have barely enjoyed it. A rare bird indeed!!

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
DEFINITELY KEEP IT
THERE ARE NO MORE AROUND and its in great shape to start with.
glas took the 2002 rear end and just added it to the front portion
the reason i know this is bill that worked on my car has one he's redoing as a race car
as none of those exist. he bought the frua itself and is adding the rear 2002 clip and suspension.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Good for you Boo! I found one on Craigslist in the depths of the great recession for very little money, pale yellow, somewhat apart, but in South Dakota(?) maybe. I couldn't even afford the shipping half-way across the country to me. Still regret that I didn't pull the trigger, but I do still have my house. Glad that you did.

Boobouna

Reaction score

Ed

Oh wow I didn’t know about this. Thank you.

Boobouna

Reaction score
DEFINITELY KEEP IT
THERE ARE NO MORE AROUND and its in great shape to start with.
glas took the 2002 rear end and just added it to the front portion
the reason i know this is bill that worked on my car has one he's redoing as a race car
as none of those exist. he bought the frua itself and is adding the rear 2002 clip and suspension.

Yes very rare and the International Glas club said there are only a few hundred survivors left.

Boobouna

Reaction score
Join the Glas club. May want to contact Axel Coelln, one of the foremost experts on the 1600GTs and Chris Auty (Ski Coach) in the US. Chris has 3 1600GTs.

Yes I’ve been in touch with the International Glas club including the key contact Uwe Gusen. He has a few himself. The club also helps with sourcing parts as there are only 2 websites I know which have parts for the car. Restoration tips are also available through members.
It looks like a relatively simple car, not as complex as the e9, so restoration shouldn’t be as difficult. Famous last words.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
eight piece steering wheel -coool

Can't wait to see it some time in Sydney.
Interesting comment above about the steering wheel being an eight piece. I have never seen such a wheel on a BMW, is that the OEM that came with the car I wonder? If so that's special.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
JP Lips brought his to our 02BerFest in 2017. He just bought it from Terry Sayther who had put a 2.0l M10 with sidedrafts. That car would scoot! The seating position is very low and the car has a feel much different than a 2002, or Coupe. Very unique car.

Here’s JP and Princess Lisa going out for a drive.

1228C04D-E3AB-4FC5-A8F7-883AB5A4CF41.jpeg

JP has now rebuilt the original engine, I’m not sure it is installed yet?

Ed

Boobouna

Reaction score
JP Lips brought his to our 02BerFest in 2017. He just bought it from Terry Sayther who had put a 2.0l M10 with sidedrafts. That car would scoot! The seating position is very low and the car has a feel much different than a 2002, or Coupe. Very unique car.

Here’s JP and Princess Lisa going out for a drive.

View attachment 74868

JP has now rebuilt the original engine, I’m not sure it is installed yet?

Ed

Wow nice colour

Boobouna

Reaction score
Interesting comment above about the steering wheel being an eight piece. I have never seen such a wheel on a BMW, is that the OEM that came with the car I wonder? If so that's special.

The steering wheel is the same as other reference material and pictures I’ve seen. Example below.

5b76b6293a03eeaac8047d8dacb3f101.jpg

Boobouna

Reaction score

This is a pic from the sales brochure

cb7ee7d2391f5b52fda5f0f15dd78939.jpg