Orangener

Reaction score
08k.jpg
e24_arctic_blue.jpg

pmansson

Reaction score
But was it an E9 colour ??

Nice pictures.
I know it is listed among all the colours for the E9 in one spreadsheet, but I have never seen or heard of one in real life...

61porsche

Reaction score
Color code 045

It exists. I have a 72 CS with that color, Karman tag, and engine bay color sticker above the ID plate.:-D

61Porsche

61porsche

Reaction score
Color code 045

Thanks Chris. But I think we all have rare cars with E9s. ( Even the parts cars which were once someones dreams and may still be someone else's new dreams or nightmares someday depending on the moment.) I will post some pics once I figure out how to dial down the resolutions to the post requirements.

The color to me looks almost like Nachtblau. I've never had the car side by side to another car with Baikal, etc. It is an old BMW color that they used sparingly depending on the model. ( There's one 8 series from the production, for example.)

61Porsche

Nitro

Reaction score
Arktisblau metallic (BMW color code 045)

Arktis blau metallic was available for E9 from October 1973 until December 1975.

I think it is hardly seen due to the presence of Nachtblau metallic (BMW Color code 040) since both colors were offered simultaneously after October 1973.
Maybe Nachtblau was given preference because the dark blue is perceived as "warmer" than Arktis which tends more to Grey.

However, on E12 and E24 Arktis blau metallic was a very frequent color maybe due to the absence of Nachtblau metallic which had run out with the E9.

Given the fact that after October 1973 only 20% of all E9 had been produced there were only few E9 with these colors produced: Arktis blue metallic (045), Siena brown metallic (009), Anthrazit grey metallic (055), Pastell blue (044) or Mint green (079.)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of blue cars, but the coupe looks fantastic in every shade of BMW blue.

Nitro

Reaction score
E9 colors

There are many colors I woudn't consider for a car but the unique design of an E9 is forgiving even "ugly colors" line Mint, Pastell, Bristol or Nevada.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
arctisblau

I have a 72 that is arctisblau/tan...The way that I figured out that it was; had the engine out and decided to have the engine bay painted...assumed, (ignorantly...)that the car was Baikal (no sticker)...told the paint guy that that's what it probably was, a little faded, assumed he'd check/match...Found a box of parts, etc that were previously in the trunk that included a small touch-up vial of Arctisblau...Only then realized that the engine bay was not painted correctly/didn't match the rest of the car; Arctisblau. Its the color of the north Atlantic in winter from a plane, and maybe my favorite. Will send a PM to you herr mansson

Last edited: