The end is near....SCOTTeVEST's Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
My comments related to two topics. The easy one is the front bumper conversion. Not sure if this is a current photo or not, but it looks as if the large, gaping holes from the later bumper supports have not been patched/welded to result in thin slots for your new (old) bumper brackets. The other comment is harder to describe. But I would assume that the car will be fully primed (after several iterations of blocking and sanding). What I suspect they would ask you to sign off on is the fairness of the resulting surface that they are about to paint. Sorry, that is a boat building term, but that is all I know for this. The pics above seem to show some spot patching, but there is not yet evidence of those patched areas being faired into the rest of the metal work. Hard to tell from photos, though...
View attachment 44554
Thank you for the clear explanation. I will talk about all of this with Benny this morning and will not proceed until these things are addressed. Spent too much time and money to get this far without making sure that everything else is right

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sent this to Benny and just talked to him. He said all below is contemplated and will be addressed properly. Note that the interior of engine will be painted but not intended for concourse level. It will be an added about $600 for engine compartment painting. I think there will be some added work needed on bumper issues, but he knows it. They said they worked late last night. Stay tuned for video later today, then a break from videos for a week or so while I am on vacation in Tucson. Any members in Tucson that want to say hi? Again, thanks.

"Looking forward to coming down this afternoon and approve things before I go out of town. My forum had a few comments that I want to raise if ok. Thanks for dealing with the "peanut gallery." Since I have never done this before, not sure what all this means but wanted to communicate to you. Reprinted comments below as they appear. Also, can you let me know the added cost for painting the engine compartment now? Thanks SO much.

• Not sure if I am looking at the latest photos of the car above, but it looks like more than a day away from "sign off". Looks like there is still welding to do on the nose related to the bumper conversion, and more feathering and blocking.
  • What about the areas on the inner fender that require fixing/painting? Last I remember these areas were still pretty rough?
  • My comments related to two topics. The easy one is the front bumper conversion. Not sure if this is a current photo or not, but it looks as if the large, gaping holes from the later bumper supports have not been patched/welded to result in thin slots for your new (old) bumper brackets. The other comment is harder to describe. But I would assume that the car will be fully primed (after several iterations of blocking and sanding). What I suspect they would ask you to sign off on is the fairness of the resulting surface that they are about to paint. Sorry, that is a boat building term, but that is all I know for this. The pics above seem to show some spot patching, but there is not yet evidence of those patched areas being faired into the rest of the metal work. Hard to tell from photos, though... "

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Andrew, I think you meant to say cars run richer as altitude INCREASES, not decreases?

The higher you go, the thinner the air, the greater the fuel portion of the AF ratio.

Cheers!
Dan
Scott
If it is tuned for 6000ft you’ll run dirty on emissions but nice and powerful at sea level.
Don’t worry about it. 3.5 decades ago I used to drive carb’d bmws at 5280ft for 9montha and spent summers at O ft without any problems.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott
If it is tuned for 6000ft you’ll run dirty on emissions but nice and powerful at sea level.
Don’t worry about it. 3.5 decades ago I used to drive carb’d bmws at 5280ft for 9montha and spent summers at O ft without any problems.
I believe that makes sense. My bigger problem is that I don’t have anyone located at my town or elevation that can properly tune in the car and the shop in Boise seems challenged with this as well. I really don’t understand what is so complicated about this. I’m sure everything will be fine in the end.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, did final sign off on paint with Benny just now. Here's the video. I think it is pretty boring. Looking good to me. Please let me know if I missed anything at all and I will let him know. FYI: the front bumper area needs attention. @bfeng not sure what you mean by "inner fender that require fixing/painting," but if that is for inside of engine compartment, that will be dealt with separately. I am slightly concerned my May 15 date may not happen, but not sure. I get the feeling that Benny has way more hours in this than anticipated initially and would have charged more if he had a change to rebid it.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
maybe cover that aux fan w/some plastic to avoid overspray.

I wouldn't install nice trunk fender liners on there until the towers were reinforced.

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm sure Steve's looked fine too when this happened:

https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/heartbreak-broken-rear-shock-mount.18208/

Maybe get some of these made and GLUE them on w/adhesive panel glue (what they use to install body panels with; incredibly strong):

IMG_1403.JPG

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Look through the thread. It was custom made at a machine shop. Dimensions are in the thread, but should be double-checked by Benny et. al.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Look through the thread. It was custom made at a machine shop. Dimensions are in the thread, but should be double-checked by Benny et. al.
Gary is going to make something and said he was going to take care of it. Do we have to do the front and rear?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just weld a big washer on to the strut tops, no need to do what I did because they havent failed yet. I had these machined then the towers were cut and these welded in.

Gary is going to make something and said he was going to take care of it. Do we have to do the front and rear?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very silly question. My bright light indicator is very dim and hard to see at all. I rarely drive at night and utilize bright lights off and so it is not a big deal but wondering how easy it is to remedy this.

Status
Not open for further replies.