YOM California License program

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone in Cali had experience with the YOM license program? This is where you acquire a genuine, old, unregistered license plate from the YOM (year of Manufacture) of your car and register it to your vehicle.

Essentially allows you to reuse/re-register an original blue plate Calif tag to your car.

Lots of genuine California blue tags on Ebay that are available to register.

It's a bit better than the fake new ones IMHO...

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I bought some and got them assigned to my '70 Volvo. It takes a little while for the DMV to approve it so they assign temp. plates.
I used old plate guy website for info and stickers.
I've done this and reassigned original plates to cars and bikes. I've always had very positive experiences with the CA DMV.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought some and got them assigned to my '70 Volvo. It takes a little while for the DMV to approve it so they assign temp. plates.
I used old plate guy website for info and stickers.
I've done this and reassigned original plates to cars and bikes. I've always had very positive experiences with the CA DMV.
Thanks for feedback...

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I’ve done it many times, there’s a one page application with the rules spelled out, that often helps when the DMV clerk isn’t familiar with the program. I once tried to do it through a 3rd party DMV service to save a trip to DMV, didn’t go well, the 3rd party insisted on a document from the seller of the plates telling what car the plates used to be on. Vendor declined to provide that. Never had that problem when applying in person at DMV.

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've also done it. I find the sticker thing to be weird. I have a few sets of original plates w/ 40 years of stickers stacked up but to use them for YOM DMW insists that the YOM sticker is visible, i.e. 1972. And you can't stick it on top -- it has to be the first and only sticker. There is no way to peel off the newer years so you're forced remove genuine history to buy a fake aftermarket sticker -- which then all have the same serial number. A nice market for the sticker sellers. If you actually had a car w/ original plates it would have the sticker stack and current year sticker visible. With YOM you get a little metal tab to stick current stickers on, which you're supposed to bolt to the plate. Heaven forbid if you cover up the repop YOM sticker. The idea is that you would remove the tab at your car show. It's dumb but you have to play the game.

Keep in mind, if you want to do it right you need to get the proper letters. California recalled all the 56 (yellow w/ black) plates in 1963 and replaced them with black and yellows. This was stupid and used up about half the alphabet instantly. Thus, a 1964 car would have a plate in the M-N-O rage, 67 was S-T, 68 U-W, 69 W-Z and then they ran out and introduced the blue/yellow with the number and letter positions swapped (numbers first). So 1970 started in the A-B range, etc. It would look wrong to have a 123 SOS plate on a 72 as they didn't get into the Ss until 78 or so. In 1980 they introduced the 7 digit (1 number, 3 letters, 3 numbers) system and the blue on white plates.

Personalized plates were introduced as an option in 1972. In 2012 CA DMV offered the ability to get black and yellow (63-69) plates for current personalized plate numbers. At the time they also advertised blue and yellow (70-80) plates. I applied for a blue and yellow set but there wasn't enough demand. Instead of refusing the order, they sent me black and yellow plates, which are incorrect for my 72 so I had them repainted in blue and yellow. Picky people (that's you @HB Chris) can tell the difference in spacing/font/metal (alum vs steel) but personalized plates were available in blue and yellow and I think the repainted new plates look good and period correct-enough. And I can apply current stickers w/out any dumb external tabs.

In 2015 California introduced the Legacy plate option of getting sequential 6 character (or personalized) plates in black and yellow. Personally, I think YOM and Legacy programs have diluted the beauty of original black and yellow plates. It used to be special to see an old car w/ an original plate. Now half the Teslas in town have black and yellows. It has actually made the blue and yellows more rare and eye catching.

And yes, front plates are always required in CA. You can't register YOM plates w/out bringing in a readable pair.

Screen Shot 2023-02-02 at 12.45.27 PM.png

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Funny thing is black plates were always steel and after the blue L series plates they switched to aluminum. Some DMVs check with a magnet, I had a friend have the DMV reject his blue Z plate as it was aluminum. I told him to go to another DMV. See my avatar to the left, a steel blue plate on my e9. Thanks Jeff, yes I am a CA plate nerd.

Last edited:

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm just pleased the @HB Chris didn't have to correct anything on my post. Below I found a photo of the Legacy plates DMV sent in black and yellow before I repainted to blue and yellow. The plates on my blue e9 and my daughter's 64 Impala are original. Note that the L range is accurate for 73 -- surprising that they went through letters so quickly. My other daughter's silver e9 is obviously wrong with black/yellow -- those were from @JetDexter but I could repaint them blue/yellow also to make period correct. Maybe someday when I'm not knee deep in restoration. Sharp eyed plate nerds will know that the plate on my 67 Camaro is YOM even without seeing the 67 sticker because W is too late for 67 but it was the closest pair I had on hand. I let so many plates slip through my hands back in the day...

Attachments

• BMWE9_12.JPG
    BMWE9_12.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Camaro 027_resized.JPG
    Camaro 027_resized.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 47
  • v12funBlue.jpg
    v12funBlue.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 34
  • v12funBlack.jpg
    v12funBlack.jpg