WTB - Throttle Linkage Shaft - Torsion Shaft

tdgray

Reaction score
Starting to piece together some parts for the Zenith 35 / 40's to get rid of the cruddy Webers.that came with my car.

One thing I definitely need is the linkage rod. Or as they call it in the parts catalogue the "torsion shaft".

Number 7 in the picture below.

The carbs and manifolds I bought have #2 and #17 attached but would not be opposed to buying the entire thing if someone has it.

Attachments

• linkage.jpg
    linkage.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have spare parts that came with used Webers I bought here. The linkage rod looks very similar but not exact.
I don't know if unique rods exist for each manufacturer?

PXL_20240307_002153003.jpg
PXL_20240307_002141613.jpg
PXL_20240307_002127792.jpg

tdgray

Reaction score
That’s very similar. Maybe one of the boys can opine on the differences.

i do see that there were two part numbers with not much explanation on the variations.

tdgray

Reaction score
I agree it looks like it should be the part. Look like a little lifting tab or maybe a stop. Possibly for some kind of sensor or something.

I think it is at least worth a shot.

jmackro

Reaction score
Starting to piece together some parts for the Zenith 35 / 40's to get rid of the cruddy Webers.that came with my car.

One thing I definitely need is the linkage rod. Or as they call it in the parts catalogue the "torsion shaft".

tdgray:

- Are you saying that your car now has sidedraft Webers, and that you don't have that linkage rod at all?

- Or that it has downdraft Webers, and has a straight rod (like the one Thomas76 shows in post #2)?

If the latter, that straight rod will work with your Zeniths, unless as stphers noted in post #5, you have a late car / automatic / all your emissions equipment, or whatever else motivated BMW to change the straight rod to that "kinked" style shown in the parts book diagram that you posted.

If the former, the more common, straight rod will work equally well with your Zeniths (again, unless your car somehow needs that kink).

tdgray

Reaction score
Downdraft Webers came on my car. Thanks for the info... The linkage on there just didn't look like it would work with the Zeniths but I am still learning all of this as I go. This is a 71 2800 4 speed... so no auto, emissions or any of that fun stuff from the later cars!

Maybe I will have two solutions and see what the best one is!

stphers

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong and I really like the Zeniths but what is wrong with the webers? They are not hard to rebuild and will clean up quite nicely using the right methods The Zeniths are a great carb WHEN they have been gone through and set up properly by someone who knows all the little tricks Webers are pretty easy to set up. Just thinking. You need the rod that Thomas76 has shown

Thanks, Rick

tdgray

Reaction score
I’ve rebuilt the Webers And yes, they are running fairly well. Still not quite great but much better than they were when I got them. Idle is good and power is okay. They are pretty worn. Shafts bind a bit and the is after a good ultrasonic cleaning and an oiling. I think they are just old and worn out.

I was pretty handy with the zeniths back in the day and never really had a problem with them.

Not hating on Webers at all. They are a good simple durable carb for sure.

tdgray

Reaction score
I’ve received the rod from Thomas. It definitely fits and has the correct high idle adjusting tab for setting your timing.

Only thing I am missing from it is one of the plastic “cups” for the end.

Thanks Thomas. You guys are truly awesome!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’ve received the rod from Thomas. It definitely fits and has the correct high idle adjusting tab for setting your timing.

Only thing I am missing from it is one of the plastic “cups” for the end.

Thanks Thomas. You guys are truly awesome!
FCP shows still available:

tdgray

Reaction score
So I was talking to a buddy of my sons… he may be able to 3d print these cups. My boy is going to pick the one up I have.

Would anyone be interested in some? No idea what cost etc.