WTB: original tan ("peanut butter") leather

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking for old saddle "pigskin" leather pieces to repair my front seat.

Anyone replace or planning to replace their old tired leather?

Last edited:

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do you mean saddle?

Bez,

You might want to clarify your post by changing the name of the color. If your car was a US delivery '72, which is indicated by the 224 VIN, the interior should be "saddle" leather (07/07). Sometimes called "English Saddle" it was almost always standard for Hoffman imported cars with tan/brown leather. The saddle leather is unique in that it has a tiny perforation pattern, sometimes called pigskin, that looks like little hair follicles. My '73 came with it and as far as I can tell, it is nearly impossible to find hides of that style these days.

Here are a some images of an original piece and a sample from an old XKSS (now World Upholstery) sample book.

Attachments

• BMW Saddle leather.jpg
    BMW Saddle leather.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 187
  • XKSS Saddle sample.jpg
    XKSS Saddle sample.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 185
  • Old XKSS sample book.jpg
    Old XKSS sample book.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 198

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The '73 coupe I had from '75 through '80 also had the dark tan leather with the pigskin appearance. VERY durable leather it seemed, and "I" thought it was pigskin!

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Bill

That's the one. I also have the sample from World Upholstery from years ago. Wish they could source the same leather.

Last edited:

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am back to trying to source the original tan/saddle leather. World Upholstery still does not have it and no colors that are close. GAHH has no colors that are close.

Does anyone know this seller on eBay or used their covers? Not sure of the quality of the keather. The color looks like a close match...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E9-3-0CS-2800CS-FRONT-SEAT-KIT-SET-100-LEATHER-NEW-BEAUTIFUL-KIT-NEW-/352152984817?epid=1668025859&hash=item51fdf41cf1:g:6S8AAOSwol5Ywyft&_trkparms=pageci%3A9af587e8-8cb9-11e7-9f4a-74dbd180ff79%7Cparentrq%3A2e11649c15e0ab6b444937bffffe9dd8%7Ciid%3A37

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am back to trying to source the original tan/saddle leather. World Upholstery still does not have it and no colors that are close. GAHH has no colors that are close.

Does anyone know this seller on eBay or used their covers? Not sure of the quality of the keather. The color looks like a close match...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E9-3-0CS-2800CS-FRONT-SEAT-KIT-SET-100-LEATHER-NEW-BEAUTIFUL-KIT-NEW-/352152984817?epid=1668025859&hash=item51fdf41cf1:g:6S8AAOSwol5Ywyft&_trkparms=pageci%3A9af587e8-8cb9-11e7-9f4a-74dbd180ff79%7Cparentrq%3A2e11649c15e0ab6b444937bffffe9dd8%7Ciid%3A37

Bez- I'll be in the Seal Beach area all this week if a visit can be arranged

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So that's 2000+ for front and rear
Plus install
Total about 4500
Any problems- oh whoops
I think I would walk away.

Reactions: dp

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'd love to see an example of the ebay kits installed. From the images the leather looks pretty good, but it is hard to confidently tell how well the fitment and feel will be once stretched over the seats. Is it me, or does the leather look like "basketball" leather? I have blue seats, but would like to swap them (or recover them) for a tan or light brown leather. I had been eye balling World Upholstery but did not realize they were out of stock of some material.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Basketball leather is very low quality leather that is run though a machine to give it a uniform pebbled texture.
Avoid.....

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don
I want to recover my front seats only. The back is fine for now and nobody sits there anyhow. The passenger seat is pictured and has no significant defects. The driver side is ripped

Attachments

• IMG_7488.PNG
    IMG_7488.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 172
Last edited:

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Gahh do some E9 seat kits... the website shows Mercedes and Porsche but did not see BMW?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yikes, 22 bucks / sf ... very expensive leather. their basis is probably 5 to 7 bucks / sf. yes GAHH is better quality, but recently their costs aren't that much higher than WH as they have raised their prices.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've checked with friends in the know here and they did not recommend.
Both suggested dealing with one person -the installer who sources the leather.

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don---"did not recommend" what? The eBay covers?

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bez,

Contact my friend Rob Budd at www.classic9leathershop.com (Detroit area). He may be able to find this for you. I'd suggest cutting about a 1-2" square piece from some of the leather on the back side of the rear seats, as that is not faded, and should show the 'pigskin' type texture. You could send that to him as a sample. You can use my name as reference.

He might sell a 'hide' of the leather, or his shop can replace your leather with new, copying the same design. I had them install new padding for the seat bottom and backrest when they did my '74 last year. Not fast, but good.

Gary Knox

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don---"did not recommend" what? The eBay covers?
not to speak for Don, as i am not sure that i am qualified to do that ... but i took him to mean, don't by a kit from somebody and have somebody else install it. by the manufacturing and installation from the same quality individual.

now for the hard part ... finding the right person with experience on e9 seats. if you're not in california near Coupeking's guy, Juan Ortiz, or the guy that Don knows / uses ... or near another restorer like Mario or the Werk Shop ... you might not find somebody with significant e9 experience

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's a week of building and tuning and dyno pulls at CK
John from Culture Brewing is getting his car fired up.

Attachments

• IMG_5648.JPG
    IMG_5648.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_5689.JPG
    IMG_5689.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 140