Wtb limited slip diff

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a 3.07 and 3.64 that I think we have spoken about before but I will not know which I will keep for a few months. There has been lots of feedback that the 3.07 may be too tall, but given that I have it, I may just install it and see because 3.07 is not really that far from the factory 3.25 for the CSL and at the end of the day, BMW paired the 3.07 with the dogleg CR gearbox on the 635csi, which was not a slow car.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wise9uy -- please post your reasons for keeping which ever one you keep. (and keep me in mind when you sell the other one).

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Some thoughts....
The 635csi as sold in the USA was a pig.... a slow overweight pig.
So much so that at the end of production that even with the more powerful b35 engine the diff on the manual was a 3.64
The auto saw the 3.91 only surpassed by the e34 auto which needed a 4.27.

The 635csi sold in Europe in both the early and late versions had the advantage of 218 hp instead of 182 or 208. Add the high speeds allowed and the 3.07 made sense.
No 3.07 offered in the USA

Bob

Site Donor
Reaction score
  • I have a 11/40 with an "S" but no white markings. I have the trailing arms too from a 3.0cs both going in the 2800cs

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-11-17-18-05-24.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-17-18-05-24.png
    527 KB · Views: 109

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Listen to Don,
The only times a 3.07 makes sense are when you have a significantly more torquey motor and:
(1) you are keeping the original 4spd
(2) you are installing the dog leg CR 5 spd (1:1 5th gear ratio).

Well I guess there is a third reason - you care about fuel economy far more that a sporting driving experience.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wise9uy -- please post your reasons for keeping which ever one you keep. (and keep me in mind when you sell the other one).

I will indeed post findings. Hopefully in a week or two I will get taken for a run in a 3.64 car with OD gearbox. That experience will give me some guidance as to what happens in 5th. All the feedback, however (equally per this thread), has been to go with the 3.64 but I want to keep my options open. I do have a CR dogleg but just don't want that gate pattern for personal preference reasons. I still wonder about the argument against the 3.07 that it should only be with the 1:1 direct top gear of the 4-speed and CR 5 speed, but equally, then why not on top of that have an overdrive. Again, I may just install it and see how it is time permitting either over winter or next year.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i have found the 3:91
im super happy
im running the 5 seriers overdrive

265 Getrag
1st..... 3.822
2nd.... 2.200
3rd..... 1.398
4th..... 1.000
5th..... 0.813

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I will indeed post findings. Hopefully in a week or two I will get taken for a run in a 3.64 car with OD gearbox. That experience will give me some guidance as to what happens in 5th. All the feedback, however (equally per this thread), has been to go with the 3.64 but I want to keep my options open. I do have a CR dogleg but just don't want that gate pattern....

I have the 3.64 plus OD box in my car and it is a great setup. Not too noisy at 80 mph, and not too tall to make a slow car even slower. Remember, these were not very fast cars when new, and need all the help they can get to keep up with lesser sports cars. If you put a 3.07 behind an OD box, you will reduce you revs at cruise by nearly 40%. Given that our motors make their best power between 3000-5500rpm, you are putting yourself outside that range and will not have any responsiveness in 5th below 90mph. That why I said you need a torque monster motor with this combo. Good setup for a turbo motor.

Like you I also have a freshly rebuilt dogleg CR box & 3.07 LSD on the shelf. Having driven a number of e24's with this setup, it feels similar to the 3.64+OD combo for cruising in 5th. And that should come as no surprise because the effective overall ratio is the ABOUT THE SAME w both setups.

The only advantage is the shift pattern (which you said is NG), and the CR (which benefits only if you like rowing the gears, but you don't like the pattern ...).

Sorry but you aren't making any sense to me. I don't understand why you are still thinking about the dogleg box when you just said you don't like it.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have the 3.64 plus OD box in my car and it is a great setup. Not too noisy at 80 mph, and not too tall to make a slow car even slower. Remember, these were not very fast cars when new, and need all the help they can get to keep up with lesser sports cars. If you put a 3.07 behind an OD box, you will reduce you revs at cruise by nearly 40%. Given that our motors make their best power between 3000-5500rpm, you are putting yourself outside that range and will not have any responsiveness in 5th below 90mph. That why I said you need a torque monster motor with this combo. Good setup for a turbo motor.

Like you I also have a freshly rebuilt dogleg CR box & 3.07 LSD on the shelf. Having driven a number of e24's with this setup, it feels similar to the 3.64+OD combo for cruising in 5th. And that should come as no surprise because the effective overall ratio is the ABOUT THE SAME w both setups.

The only advantage is the shift pattern (which you said is NG), and the CR (which benefits only if you like rowing the gears, but you don't like the pattern ...).

Sorry but you aren't making any sense to me. I don't understand why you are still thinking about the dogleg box when you just said you don't like it.

Good feedback again thanks! To be clear, the dogleg CR is out. My consideration is OD + 3.64 OR 3.07. There was already some good debate in this thread:
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/thread...ar-for-different-gearboxes.23432/#post-172438

The scenario is that in 5th gear at 3000rpm the 3.07 in 5th would be doing about 90mph while the 3.64 would be at 75mph. My gut feeling for a cruiser is that 2500rpm would suffice to push the car along at 75mph on level ground. Then I can always grab 4th for a hill. I totally hear what people say about the having a more spirited feel with the 3.64 and hopefully soon I will get a ride in a car with that setup to know if it is what I want...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a 3.64 and 265 5 speed and it is great. The car is geared nicely for 1-4th. I usually don't put it into 5th until I hit 70mph or so. Otherwise you're at the bottom of the torque curve but still have enough power to pass without downshifting. I followed some dude going 90 for halfway across FL and the engine was loving it. And I could converse with my co-pilot.

Last edited:

Bill 74 3.0 CS

Reaction score
I have a 3.64 and 265 5 speed and it is great. The car is geared nicelyl for 1-4th. I usually don't put it into 5th until I hit 70mph or so. Otherwise you're at the bottom of the torque curve but still have enough power to pass without downshifting. I followed some dude going 90 for halfway across FL and the engine was loving it. And I could converse with my co-pilot.

Thanks for that useful information. I will take it into account upon my search for an LSD. My car currently has the open diff with 3.45. I have 17 inch rims with 225/45 tires with the standard transmission, I´m at 3500 rpm at 120 kph. After adding the 5 speed, I should see a 15 to 18% drop in rpm´s. I am considering going for a 205/50/17 tire for more comfort as well. I do know that the 3.64 was good for 300 ft. lbs of torque, while the 3.45 is good for 325 ft. lbs of torque, and finally the 3.07 is good for 350 ft. lbs of torque.