WTB Hood Support & Springs

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Anyone have a spare hood support (#1)? Apparently mine is broken on one side which requires the hood to be propped up when open. I could also use the tensioner springs (#8 & 9) if you have those as well. Please PM or email benji at walvoord dot net

Attachments

• HoodSupport.jpg
    HoodSupport.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 136

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My car is white, which would obviously be my preference but I'll take any color if the price is decent since I'll probably repaint the whole thing before too long.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
2800 Bav vs CS Hood?

They look similar, but I will have to defer to someone elese's knowledge. Hopefully someone can confirm this and if so, that would be great.

61porsche

Reaction score
Close

but not exact on the E3 parts was my experience. I purchased a used one early in my ownership and found that the distance between the hood brackets was slightly wider. I modified mine by cutting and rewelding one end which was more trouble than it's worth new.

The assembly is available new ( or recently was). Not terribly expensive and reasonable. But if I had the original the two most common fixes are rewelding a bracket back or a spring rod or rods internal are broken or very tired. Those are available too.

There are quite a few old posts on this subject for the searching that are helpful.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks. The bracket never made it back from the paint shop 20 years ago, so it looks like the best option is to buy new. Thanks for the quick response.

jmackro

Reaction score
If you can find one used, in good condition, and the right color, then great.

But those things do wear out - the springs lose tension, the welds on the arms crack. New ones aren't that expensive (Mobile Tradition shows $164 for p/n 41611814312). And given what a hassle it is to install those things, there is some comfort in putting in a new one and being done with it for the next 20 years.

Alternatively, if your tube & arms are in good shape, you can buy just the torsion springs for $18 apiece. See p/n 41611810317 and 41611810318.

Last edited:

nashvillecat

Reaction score
the two most common fixes are rewelding a bracket back or a spring rod or rods internal are broken or very tired. Those are available too.

There are quite a few old posts on this subject for the searching that are helpful.

I have welded broken brackets on both a coupe and a sedan, with long term success. Had the fix been unsatisfactory, not being an absolute stickler for originality, I also considered adapting commonly available gas charged struts as a hood prop. Should you feel inclined, peruse the archives for discussion of employing gas charged struts.

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Hum, that seems like it might be a reasonable solution for the S38 swap where I’m told the cross tube has to be removed to clear that big 24 valve head. Do the gas springs tend to push the hood forward when open ? The clearance between the open hood and the header panel is already at a bare minimum. ~ John Buchtenkirch

jmackro

Reaction score
Do the gas springs tend to push the hood forward when open ? The clearance between the open hood and the header panel is already at a bare minimum. ~ John Buchtenkirch

The stock hood spring exerts a forward force on the hood in the open position, so the gas strut conversion might not be all that different in this respect. Having said that, hood alighment (with the hood closed) is quite sensitive to how the mechanical spring is set up - substituting gas struts might require some fiddling to keep the hood in the right vertical plane.

rb1971

Reaction score
Hum, that seems like it might be a reasonable solution for the S38 swap where I’m told the cross tube has to be removed to clear that big 24 valve head. Do the gas springs tend to push the hood forward when open ? The clearance between the open hood and the header panel is already at a bare minimum. ~ John Buchtenkirch

That could work, although on my car I deleted the hood springs entirely due to lack of clearance and installed a CSL-style hood prop. I suppose this also saves some weight but that wasn't really my goal.

oldcoupe

Reaction score
Gas Springs

The gas springs were placed so that they are fully extended at the chosen hood open position - they don't push any further which would cause damage. Other point, already made, is that in the closed position they are "over centre" so act to keep the hood closed.

I would have preferred a working hood support, but mine is broken at both ends - a poor crash repair for a PO, and these gas ones do work really well. The installation can be easily removed to restore originality if desired.

Oldcoupe

DaveG

Reaction score
Oldcoupe,
Any chance you could measure the extended length of the gas struts you used?
Thanks,
Dave Ganzer

oldcoupe

Reaction score
Open Strut Length

The open strut length is 585mm from mounting centre to centre.

If you're thinking of using struts, install them with minimal pressure, then have them gassed to give appropriate force. I mentioned in my original post that I used someone who both supplied and regassed struts so when I finished fitting them he came by and set the pressure to suit.