WTB: Getrag 5 speed transmission for 3.0 cs

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
That's why I'm pleased I found a rebuilt 265/6 on eBay last year for $1200. I had a search running for new postings. I jumped on it less than an hour after it was posted with a buy it now price. And prices for all 265 have risen since then.

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
As Don or anyone else knows who works on these, this is the most common thing to go bad in the 265, and its one of the first things to go NLA in it. Lots of people make that size bearing, but it's the shoulder that BMW added that makes this bearing unique. So, if you want one, you pay whatever someone is asking.

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
I've got a good 265/6 available, the input shaft isn't terribly loose so that bearing is still ok. PM me or I can start another thread, whateva.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm no expert on tranny internals- makes me dizzy looking at them.
According to Pete at Petes Gear shop it's synchros first and then layshaft bearings.
According to Metric Mechanic it's layshaft bearings and then synchros.

http://metricmechanic.com/transmissions/

• Lay-shaft Bearing Failure
  • Short Synchronizer Life
We re-engineered the synchronizer assembly for improved clutching action (a synchronizer is actually a form of clutch) and we’ve greatly extended the wear limit of the synchronizer as well. This allows our transmissions to be shifted more aggressively without the fear of premature synchronizer failure which has the effect of making the transmission miserable to shift.

To cure lay-shaft bearing failures, we’ve substituted tapered roller bearings for the ball and/or flat roller bearings used in new and rebuilt gearboxes. We’ve come to respect tapered roller bearings as the absolute best bearings to complement our Ultimate Transmission philosophy. When a lay-shaft bearing fails, it can become quite serious. The bearing can come apart and quickly destroy the transmission.

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
If they say there are more common failures in the 265, that's fine. What I do know is, the parts they are referring to are still available. The part I'm referring to is not. That's the difference.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have heard the same there are no replacement bearings for the mainshaft except for the ones I have and they're not for sale.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Time to find an alternate gearbox and not be at the mercy of rarity and hoarders.
Who cares if it comes from a Toyota or whatever; let's face it, a 265/5 isn't original anyway.