Wtb: E9

silver1331

Reaction score
Looking to buy an E9. Ideally looking for a well-sorted car both cosmetically and mechanically. Doesnt have to be show quality as it will be driven but dont want a project car either. I've been lurking on the site for a while and learning from those that have posted, so thanks in advance to everyone on this forum. If anyone knows of a solid rust-free E9 for sale PM me...thx

bmw art car

Reaction score
Hahaha :) Chris ... I read this and thought: Murray? he's the one person in the wold I know would never sell his car...
oh but wait... yes, I am sure he got a good lead to find a nicely looking motor... If not Murray , who else would? :)

execmalibu

Reaction score
I might sell my CS....

I might sell my very original 2800CS...

Totally rust free calif car and restored to all (98%) original condition. 4 Speed with Air Cond. Picking it up here and driving the car from LA to Chicago would be no problem.

$42,500

Attachments

• 2800CS INT.jpg
    2800CS INT.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 2800CS.jpg
    2800CS.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 2800 TOOLS.jpg
    2800 TOOLS.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 188
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

tmason

Reaction score
Hi Silver
I know of a guy in Graeagle,Ca that has a CS2800 not sure of the year and how rust free the car(stored indoors) but the guy had a BMW shop and did a modern engine swap and he seem to very mechanically inclined.The color was brown with tan interior.He had in the classifieds in Roundel for a long time. I think he was asking about 14K and he seem like he was willing to hold on to the car till a got his price but this was a couple of years ago and things always change? If you are interested I could get the number for you. Tim

silver1331

Reaction score
Hi Silver
I know of a guy in Graeagle,Ca that has a CS2800 not sure of the year and how rust free the car(stored indoors) but the guy had a BMW shop and did a modern engine swap and he seem to very mechanically inclined.The color was brown with tan interior.He had in the classifieds in Roundel for a long time. I think he was asking about 14K and he seem like he was willing to hold on to the car till a got his price but this was a couple of years ago and things always change? If you are interested I could get the number for you. Tim

Thanks, PM Sent

d-ace

Reaction score
I had to IMO on this one. The American 2800CS model with and motor swap (no matching numbers and not a classic) plus even if low rust is high although worth looking at for $14K.

Although, the one above advertised as “very original 2800CS” then “Totally rust free calif car and restored to all original condition.” is one of the most contradicting ads I have ever seen? As said on here before original once painted and here how it was restored is not original anymore. Plus as always I would like to see what the motor compartment and undercarriage looks like claimed as “very original” and if any work was done there where I always start looking at on these coupes. Last, $42,500 is outrageous high and a very arrogant price for just an American 2800CS no matter if gold plated inside in my books………

rwolak

Reaction score

Totally rust free calif car and restored to all original condition. 4 Speed with Air Cond. Picking it up here and driving the car from LA to Chicago would be no problem.

$42,500

I'm sure a lot of people would sell this car for $42.5K. No doubt the seller has been looking at some of the recent prices on these coupes and figured if someone wants one bad enough, they'll pay the price.

bmw art car

Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of people would sell this car for $42.5K. No doubt the seller has been looking at some of the recent prices on these coupes and figured if someone wants one bad enough, they'll pay the price.

X2...

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score

Totally rust free calif car and restored to all original condition. 4 Speed with Air Cond. Picking it up here and driving the car from LA to Chicago would be no problem.

$42,500

Jeff,

I have one nit to pick, you say it's restored to "all orignal condition;" however, the pictures show the the wood trim and radio are updated (tastefully done, just not original).

I, for one, applaud your asking price. Your coupe looks like a very clean example. I believe it is about time we see the values of our coupes rise. I shake my head when I see 2002s and Isettas command higher asking prices.

good luck with the sale,

Walter

d-ace

Reaction score
I am with you on the price “Walter” it never make any sense to me at all either…. Makes you wonder when you look at a CS coupe and see the beauty in the lines if others just see an ugly cracker box. And the best the 3.0 couples with such low production numbers with the most popular model at almost twice the production numbers than any other models had only 7935 units made between 1971 –1975 the European 3.0CSI model. And now days with the notorious rusting cancer problem eating these coupes from the inside/out there is only about 5% still available worth buying ….

Check the Competition…...

1970 Volkswagen
$34,000
http://classiccars.cardilr.com/clas...70_VOLKSWAGEN_BEETLE:-3654877126854773266.htm

1952 Morris Minor
$24,000
http://classiccars.cardilr.com/classic/Morris/Minor/1952_MORRIS_MINOR:-7061665664375799841.htm

BMW ISETTA
$36,000
My Dad had one of these to go to work in 1957 60mpg.
http://classiccars.cardilr.com/classic/BMW/Isetta/1956_BMW_ISETTA:-656414596587358352.htm

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rarity and beauty don't drive value

The 2002 and especially the tii were more "important" cars than the coupes. The E9 was just BMW's entry into a well established segmentof GT coupes (DB4's, 400GT's, E-types, JH Intercepters, Pagoda's, etc. Sure it was a good entry, but it didn't reset standards, open new market segment, etc.

The 2002, one could argue, established BMW as a legitimate player in the US market and popularized the previously rare sports compact segment. Consider it the 1965 Mustang of Germany.

Also, if you've owned and driven a 2002, it's absolutely true that they just feel right. Sure the coupes are more comfortable, prettier, faster, and in some instances handle better. But a well sorted 2002 give you a oneness or connection to the driving experience that's, IMHO, superior to the E9 and perhaps only matched by the E30 M3.

I would rather have a coupe, but I can completely understand and appreciate the market's infatuation with the 2002.

John

execmalibu

Reaction score
D-Ace... Restored to original condition means exactly that.

I said the car is very original and it is. I did not say 100% original and unrestored. There is Repainted, Restored, Over Restored and Restored to original.

A car that is restored to original condition is a car that is taken apart and everything is either cleaned/detailed or painted ,rechromed,rerubbered etc and put back back exactly like it was removed without modification, that is restored to original condition.

If you repaint a car in the original color and repaint the car exactly like the factory did which means no overspray or overspray where and like factory original that is repainted like original. Also some parts like the hood bolts were painted at the factory and other bolts were not (installed after painting) these details are important if you want to restore like original. Then if you replace every screw with the exact screw and put them exactly where they came from and and also replace every piece of rubber and every sticker is correct and in its place. Then you make absolutely sure every wire and every hose is routed correctly. And every other part or piece of trim is exactly as original and where it belongs. Also if you decide to use any of the original parts that were cleaned but are not perfect but have the original patina then you are on your way to restoring like original! Erik at Coupeking said he hates Porsche guys because they complained that the Cad plating was not exactly the correct color.

Many cars are just restored or over restored. If you blast overspray everywhere and paint areas like under the hood in thick high gloss paint and then take off all of the smog stuff install Webers with small chrome air filters to make the car run better and to clean up the under hood area then this is not restored to Original.

Walter you are correct the car is very original in many ways but there are a few mods that can easily be reversed back to original. The under hood area is original paint/stickers etc. The stickers are peeling/cracked but they are original!

The car has Webers but I have the original carbs. About the wood the previous owner bought and installed (over restored) wood but I have the original wood that came with the car and it is very nice. The radio is a period radio.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Jeff,

You did also say, "restored to all original condition," which I take to mean 100% original. Either way, your coupe looks fantastic and I hope it fetches your asking price.

-Walter

execmalibu

Reaction score
Walter you are correct! I changed the post to say 98% Original.

Walter you are correct... I changed the post and it now says 98% original. The car does not have the original air in the tires... Just Goofing:mrgreen:

And to clarify even more the car is a very nice driver not a show car! Everything is 98% correct and the car runs and drives great. Could you pick the car apart and even find a tiny spot of rust? Possibly?

But being a Porsche 356/911 collector for 40 years I know what a rusty car is. Finding a tiny spot of bubbles on a 356 or 911 is considered normal and the car is still considered by the Porsche experts as rust free.

I dont really care if I sell the car. But I figure if you found a straight rust free E9 for $10-$15K and restored the car to match this car would cost you not that much less then I am asking and would take over a year to finish.

Last edited:

61porsche

Reaction score
Ummm .. (cough.cough)

We were just discussing those military mil spec cad plating with the green tint vs. the german spec weren't we? I must have missed the memo on the approved circa head markings prior to the euro standarization.

Rust?..what's that you say... that's just native original Georgia red clay from my earlier rally days, sir. Patina, yes sir. that's what we got.

Seriously, clean it and keep it the best way you can. Shiney side up.

d-ace

Reaction score
“Bfeng”
“The 2002 and especially the tii were more "important" cars than the coupes. The E9 was just BMW's entry into a well established segmentof GT coupes (DB4's, 400GT's, E-types, JH Intercepters, Pagoda's, etc. Sure it was a good entry, but it didn't reset standards, open new market segment, etc.

The 2002, one could argue, established BMW as a legitimate player in the US market and popularized the previously rare sports compact segment. Consider it the 1965 Mustang of Germany.

Also, if you've owned and driven a 2002, it's absolutely true that they just feel right. Sure the coupes are more comfortable, prettier, faster, and in some instances handle better. But a well sorted 2002 give you a oneness or connection to the driving experience that's, IMHO, superior to the E9 and perhaps only matched by the E30 M3.”

_________

John I have had both these cars a Euro 1972 2002Tii for many years and the Euro 1971 3.0CSI. The 2002 model did save BMW’s car division early in the 1970’s although the one that set BMW on fire was the 3.0 coupes. Those 3.0 coupe design lines you can see clearly in my Euro 1979 635CSI and all the way up to the BMW cars now days plus much of their competitions cars too. While the 2002Tii is a fun car to drive as many say it has to much of a box look and plain and simple (especially Porsche owners). Plus what the 1971 3-liter BMW couples did racing in Europe that year winning about everything made many car companies take a hard look at BMW’s race capability.

Personally driving with a setup motor and suspension the best I can the 2002Tii VS the 3.0CSI cannot be compared IMO. Just the length of the CSI in high-speed turns and control in 4-wheel drifts compared to the shorter go-cart feel of the 2002Tii speaks for itself.
The Euro 2002Tii was only made for 2-years 1972-1974, the 3.0CSI and many others CS, CSA, and very small amount of the CSL models were made from 1971-1975 that’s 5-years.

No big deal its just years ago my wife gave me a great book on BMW’s history and it really tells the BMW history story in detail. The one with the red Gullwing on the cover and the racing version M1 that was Turbocharged and 850 hp like the one my friend Michael Douglas (the actor) use to race.
For those that don’t know about these cars take a look at what BMW was building in the 1970’s in the attachment. The body was built by the Italian manufacturer Lamborghini when they entered into an agreement with BMW to build a production racing car the BMW M1 was the result.”
In 1979 I almost bought one of the M1’s they came in a crate for $35K down payments total price $210K I wish I had I can not imagen what they are worth now days with only 455 ever built.

Attachments

• Red Gullwind.jpg
    Red Gullwind.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 96
Last edited: