WTB: 3.0cs

Jimbodawg

Reaction score
Please msg me if you have a 3.0 CS for sale. I have been looking on and off again for years. I am looking for something without rust or very little rust. Looking to spend $15k+/- Prefer blue or silver cars. I have the ability to pickup anywhere in the US and southern Canada.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Realistically, $15K is going to get you a rusty project car that needs lots of work. And BHCC's "We Buy European Classic Cars" should also say "We Also Sell Rusty Crap." They show no closeups hoping you don't see all of the rust and that interior, omg, although the steering wheel really takes the cake.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
wow! didnt even look through the pics. that steering wheel is horrible. The car looks a bit... worn as well. but i think you are right, $15k doesnt get you much these days. crazy how values have changed in the last 7 or so years. When i bought my car back in 08 i remember seeing pretty solid cars (ie little to no rust, partially - fully restored going for $25k - $30k.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It seems to me this guy should offer tutorials in how to write an honest, all-inclusive ad.
And that's with not being able to open the photos.

Can someone open them in another post or send to me [email protected] I am NOT shopping, just curious.
Thanks, Steve

Jimbodawg

Reaction score
Maybe I need to increase my price point. Emailed that dude in SF and, well- he must have been having a bad day. Let's just leave it at that;)

I've seen some good looking cars for $45k but don't seem to really see any under that price that aren't rust buckets.

If you happen upon a nice example, I'm interested. Thanks in advance!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Some very wise BMW folks here advised me to be patient, and I spent more than two years looking for my car. There are cars out there; I ran into a guy at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix last month who got a car similar to mine for a whole lot less than I paid.

You will find that under $25k, there are bunch of rusty cars that pop up for sale every three months or so. You need to pass on these. Be diligent, and look at cars that come up for sale in your area (where are you, by the way). Also, you are looking at a bad time of year. The better bargains come around in the winter when sellers have fewer potential buyers.

Finally, remember the number one rule of used cars; evaluate first, then fall in love. Much heartache has arisen from getting this sequence wrong.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
check out the 2800CS just posted here... looks like it might have some potential

Fstede1

Reaction score
Purchased my 70 Cp , very heavy upgraded plus new paint and interior, the first of this year after a two year search. Paid good money but what I thought was a fair price which was well north of $15k. Point is your are wasting your time looking to meet your criterior at 15k. To get what you want you will need to spend at lest 25k. I second the statement "these guys know what they are talking about"
Good luck

Jimbodawg

Reaction score
Just wondering- since my price point won't bring in a mint e9- what items are easier or cheaper fixes than others and if they're are any 'red flags' to stay away from in one of these cars?
Thanks in advance.

Tierfreund

Reaction score
very easy to answer: stay away from rust. If there is any at all, you are looking at a painfull experience. Start poking into rust bubbles and the e9 starts unraveling. It really is the biggest downfall of it.

Interior and mechanicals are a lot easier to fix or live with. Plenty of parts easiliy obtainable. Only really worn engines are getting harder to replace cheaply, the days of an abundance of good used engines are gone. Still, reabuilds are possible to a very high standard, only the parts and labour costs do stack up.

So: avoid a rusty car and you´ll be fine.

Gernstetter

Reaction score
very easy to answer: stay away from rust. If there is any at all, you are looking at a painfull experience. Start poking into rust bubbles and the e9 starts unraveling. It really is the biggest downfall of it.

Interior and mechanicals are a lot easier to fix or live with. Plenty of parts easiliy obtainable. Only really worn engines are getting harder to replace cheaply, the days of an abundance of good used engines are gone. Still, reabuilds are possible to a very high standard, only the parts and labour costs do stack up.

So: avoid a rusty car and you´ll be fine.

25k is the starting point....then the insanity begins, and rust and paint work not done well is money down the drain