What other BMW manual gearboxes fit the E9 CSI?

o

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking to potentially install a 5 speed conversion to my 1973 3.0 CSI - Can anyone point me in the direction of which other BMW boxes are easiest to source and install? I don't want to start cutting and chopping parts or messing with ratio's - a straight swap solution would be ideal for me.

Many thanks in advance!

o :)

johanaxelson

Reaction score
If you want a 5 speed you will have to cut the propshaft.

But AFAIK I know there are many up to like -86 that fit. Don't know enough to be specific but search here and you should find lots of info.

Also, some of them will not have the hole for the speedo cable so you need to consider that as well.

/Johan

61porsche

Reaction score
5 speed swap

The Getrag 265, overdrive unit with speedometer drive.( Not the dogleg version which has the 5 speeds but not the final reduction ratio.) Circa 79,80,81. Also known as a three piece case as the bell housing is seperate. Preferably from a 528 as the shift tower is the same length dimension as that which fits the coupe for the shifter hole. There are suppliers / vendors who can cut down a longer one though.

There are some others with few exceptions. Some later getrags had the provision for the speedo gear; but not installed (85, 535 or M3 comes to mind, but it is a single year crossover item) yet any 4 speed with mechanical drive parts can work to convert. There are at least two vendors who sell electrical output to mechanical converters from the later trans which add about $300 to the equation last I checked. Even later elec. speedos work of an elec. signal from the rear end.

As this conversion has been done many times, a little research here and other sites which use the M30 ( and sometimes M10 conversions to M30) of the same years will result in a wealth of information to get the project rolling.

Best of luck...to everyone for the New Year!