What is the knack to refitting the dash cover?

Rek

Reaction score
I started in the centre pushing the rim under the window seal and had greased the edges of the dash cover and the window seal to make this easier. My issue is with the clips at the side which retain the sides of the dash cover. I even threaded string through them and through the side holes and pulled down on them, but still no joy.

Anyone have any ideas? If so, please put me out of my misery.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I recall in being a real pain to get settled with the driver's side (left in the US market) retaining tab being the most difficult to get in. I think it took most of a day with help from my wife on and off holding the dash in place while I held my breath and pushed the leading edge of the dash back to allow the tab to seat.

Even once the tab was in the right place I recall it fought fully seating.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Are you installing it with the windshield in place? If so I’m not sure this will help but, just in case…

Rek

Reaction score
So, it would appear that the dashboard cover is slightly spring loaded when fitted, possibly to avoid noise once fitted. I will be trying again soon and will report back.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
We had a very difficult time with the upper vinyl part on my dash, well with the rest of it but that is a different story

The problem is the clips have to go into the hole in the sheet metal to latch, and on a couple that wasn’t happening

And the clips easily come out of the dash, so you think you have the entire thing in and you have to try again

I tried several things (pulling on wire, no help)

On a couple where the clip didn’t want to go in far enough and latch, I made tapered wood wedges and forced those through the opening in the clip to pull if down and keep it there

One on of them, I took a 5 or 6 inch thin threaded rod, using a torch bend the non-threaded end over a small amount, it was some time ago, but maybe 1cm

You put the dash in place, hook the rod into where the clip would have been

Put a tube over the threaded rod so you don’t have to run a nut the entire length

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, it was odd that the clips which were perfectly aligned when the dash came out, suddenly would have one or two that are completely out of place for some strange reason. In my case, it seemed hopeless so I had to ditch one of them. If you have 3 out of the 4, and at least the ones at either end, I think that is plenty as the windshield keeps it from going anywhere

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
the one that I had to use the threaded rod for was the one on the far left end, it was required or the end would stick up and as noticeable

merdad

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since I had the whole dash cover removed, I decided to put treaded screws instead of clips. The center ones were easy to tie down through the speaker, and instrument openings. The corner ones were a bit of work but done with a long ratchet extension.

Attachments

• D1D21198-89A3-478D-AA5B-ED179461D13B.jpeg
    D1D21198-89A3-478D-AA5B-ED179461D13B.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 67
  • B427C387-7860-41FC-B99D-6D11428E6162.jpeg
    B427C387-7860-41FC-B99D-6D11428E6162.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 60

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the one that I had to use the threaded rod for was the one on the far left end, it was required or the end would stick up and as noticeable
yup, that was the one that I fought for hours. Finally got it after a lot of foul language (always seems to make the difference...not that I can help myself).

Rek

Reaction score
I finally got it in. I filed off some carriage bolts and inserted them into the rectangular holes and twisted. The knack I have found is to start at the centre and push that in. Then one side and then the other.

I had to shave off some of the edge which goes under the window seal but that might have been because of previous repair work to the metal there. Getting the bolts on from underneath led to some bad language but once tightened down it looked like it had never been removed.................apart from the ends were slightly broken. Deep joy! Not that bad though now that I know how to do it.