What engine do I have?

DaSurfa

Reaction score
While trying to get my '71 2800CS to start after installing the Pertronix 1867A, I was looking at the timing window with the dot and while I was there I though why not look for the engine vin number too. Is the engine vin number the same as my vehicle vin on the top of the passenger fender? My vehicle vin is 2280504 and the engine vin I see above and next to the starter is 2263920. Looking at the CS registry info my engine correspond to a '71 or '72 CSI with that vin.
So what engine do I have in my 2800CS? I know that originally it was an automatic built in March of 1971 but has been converted over to a 4-sp manual over 10 years ago and that's all the info I know.
Here is a pic of the engine vin and the engine itself.
_DSC5605_sm.jpg

DSC00268_sm.jpg

Honolulu

Reaction score
If you have a block from a CSI which were all 3-liter engines, I'd guess you have a 3-liter engine.

There are casting marks on the left side of the cylinder head also, but I don't think they would be conclusive.

If you're running Zenith carbs, one of the jets is different, but I'd not disassemble them to see which, there's too much opportunity for problems.

DaSurfa

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I'm gonna go look for the stamp on #1 cylinder. Currently my engine is running twin weber carbs and the distributor is a 002 unit. I didn't know that you could convert a CSI motor over to a carb engine. Is this possible?

So is this why my car will not start after I installed the pertronix 1867a? Will I need to get the #1868 unit for a csi motor. I might just switch back to points to see if my car will start again. What is the correct part number for the points for my engine now running webers and a 002 distributor?

Mahalo,
David

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The carb and csi dizzys are different with points on opposite sides of the housing, don't think you can install the wrong Pertronix.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
please get your coupe in the registry. i have 2280487 (feb 1971) ... and i'm happy to see a march with a number above 500.

While trying to get my '71 2800CS to start after installing the Pertronix 1867A, I was looking at the timing window with the dot and while I was there I though why not look for the engine vin number too. Is the engine vin number the same as my vehicle vin on the top of the passenger fender? My vehicle vin is 2280504 and the engine vin I see above and next to the starter is 2263920. Looking at the CS registry info my engine correspond to a '71 or '72 CSI with that vin.
So what engine do I have in my 2800CS? I know that originally it was an automatic built in March of 1971 but has been converted over to a 4-sp manual over 10 years ago and that's all the info I know.
Here is a pic of the engine vin and the engine itself.
_DSC5605_sm.jpg

DSC00268_sm.jpg

DaSurfa

Reaction score
The carb and csi dizzys are different with points on opposite sides of the housing, don't think you can install the wrong Pertronix.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I'm starting to think I might have a DOA unit from Pertronix. I gonna put the old stock points and see if it will start.

David

DaSurfa

Reaction score
Just got info from BMW and my engine 2263920 was from an Italian delivered 3.0CSI built on Dec 11, 1972.

loloe13

Reaction score
sorry for this 'newbie' question, but how did you get that info from BMW? Is it like an email to your local BMW dealers? or is there a site that I can inquire more about my car's origin by the VIN?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
email your vin to [email protected] and he will let you know dtate of manufacture, color, and country shipped to. He also responds to [email protected]

sorry for this 'newbie' question, but how did you get that info from BMW? Is it like an email to your local BMW dealers? or is there a site that I can inquire more about my car's origin by the VIN?

Bwana

Reaction score
Just got info from BMW and my engine 2263920 was from an Italian delivered 3.0CSI built on Dec 11, 1972.

If you change over to a CS dizzy, I'll take/buy your current one, the one for a CSi. I still have the original D-Jet system but am totally nervious about the life of the FI points