Wednseday Night Project, Part 3

Malc

Reaction score
Ok so it's not Wednesday, but to try and keep the title going.... sad or what :roll:
Rear LHS arch work continues, remember the car is currently upside down!
I finally got brave enough to attack the remains of the rotten outer arch. Note the use of the "white out" and black marker pens so that everything lines up. The most important being the swage on the forward part of the arch for the lower rear wing

31cfe0fa5a1b4671bac6dd048a4c3c59.jpg

After that its time to fettle the bottom rear part of the wing (to be continued) to get it to sit right in conjunction with the arch.

b786b4c4be8342064633083fbc26c713.jpg

Both the outer arch and the lower wing part are Jaymic repair sections. You have to be brave (IMHO) and cut them up, bend, and hammer into shape as required to get the best fit. I suppose I could of bought whole new rear wings but my budget doesn't stretch that far
Once I am happy with where they all sit I'll tack weld them into place before finally commiting to full welding.....
The saga will no doubt continue as I try and match up the repair panel for the bottom of the wing infront of the arch

Is this stuff any use?, I'don't want to clutter up the board if not
Malc

MichaelP

Reaction score
Is this stuff any use?, I'don't want to clutter up the board if not
Malc

I just showed your post to my wife to demonstrate how the project that lurks in our basement is small potatoes. Not sure if that made things better or worse.. I'll have to post some shots of the rear panel welding on the coupe we stripped this weekend :evil: . That ought to cheer you up.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Malc, I apologize for not having commented on your posts previously. In my opinion, they have been among the best on this board. I think that only those who are doing similar projects can fully appreciate the extent of your work. Keep them coming - you'll always have me for an audience!

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Ditto Bill's comments. I hope you'll post yours on a page like Vraneman has done ( http://www.vranedom.com/ ) in the order of the work performed.

There are several other postings as well but yours has been a bit more "participatory" for the rest of us.

Thanks, Malc.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Your work to bring one of these back to life--is

extraordinary--to put it a different way--starting where you did-you were faced with probably the most daunting restoration challenges that has been undertaken by anyone on one of these bodies by Karmann--surely the "King of Korrosion"

Here locally--that body would long ago have been sent to the crusher and the metal-err--what was left of it would be scrap--the generous amount of reddish-brown stuff had already self re-cycled to the red dust from whence it cameth.

Someday your "Phoenix" will again take flight--my hats off to you Laddie!!

Murray aka BLUMAX

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Fearless rustfighter

Like a kid watching an earthmover/bulldozer, I, too, am guilty of sitting and watching in amazement, and saying nothing. And of showing "her" what can be done. I also want to thank you for sharing with, and inspiring the rest of us, and I admire your intestinal fortitude. If you put all of the posts and photos together on a disk, I dont think it would win at Canne or Sundance film festivals, but I'd sure buy one. All of it in one place. I'm not kidding. Keep up the good work. Dave V. in western North Carolina

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Malc, this is anything but clutter! Its informative for anyone undertaking a restoration, and a reality check as well. I too am in awe of your perseverence and skill. Keeping a good photographic record will only intensify your sense of accomplishment when you finally have the car completed and running...

Malc

Reaction score
Guess it should be Wednesday night part 999
Anyway I have finally finished removing rust all the way forward to the bulkhead. Its been a long laborious process with many interruptions with work, lack of funds, and all the other stuff that gets in the way. Hope this is of interest.

100_2823.jpg

I have started forward to the bulkhead

100_2820.jpg

Just this side to clean up and repair, then it will be add the rebuilt nose cone time.

100_2821.jpg

Once that's done its clean up the engine bay and cabin.

Malc

Reaction score
Guess it should be Wednesday night part 999
Anyway I have finally finished removing rust all the way forward to the bulkhead. Its been a long laborious process with many interruptions with work, lack of funds, and all the other stuff that gets in the way. Hope this is of interest.

100_2823.jpg

I have started forward to the bulkhead

100_2820.jpg

Just this side to clean up and repair, then it will be add the rebuilt nose cone time.

100_2821.jpg

Once that's done its clean up the engine bay and cabin.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Malc,

I have enjoyed watching your progress. I am currently rust deep in the front A pillar area, so your photos are timely. Have you completely sealed off the "cave" area from below (behind the shock tower)? I am considering welding the support arm opening closed and even sealing all the weep holes around the edges of the heavy gauge strut support plate. In this case I might cut in a small access port from the top side just behind the strut mount - just large enough to provide some ventilation?

Thanks,

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Malc,

I have enjoyed watching your progress. I am currently rust deep in the front A pillar area, so your photos are timely. Have you completely sealed off the "cave" area from below (behind the shock tower)? I am considering welding the support arm opening closed and even sealing all the weep holes around the edges of the heavy gauge strut support plate. In this case I might cut in a small access port from the top side just behind the strut mount - just large enough to provide some ventilation?

Thanks,

Malc

Reaction score
Hello Sven
No I haven't. The BMW inner wing extension piece has some holes in it, why I haven't a clue. However I have left them open and will be injecting the area with cavity wax. When the whole area was exposed I did remove all rust and paint with anti - rust paint.
I might have some pictures of the area before welding it up!
HTH
Malc

Malc

Reaction score
Hello Sven
No I haven't. The BMW inner wing extension piece has some holes in it, why I haven't a clue. However I have left them open and will be injecting the area with cavity wax. When the whole area was exposed I did remove all rust and paint with anti - rust paint.
I might have some pictures of the area before welding it up!
HTH
Malc

gazzol

Reaction score
Great work Malc, I know what you're going through the first CS I tackled many years ago was in a similar state to yours.
My current CS wasn't that bad in comparison as it had been restored in 1987 and to be fair they did an excellent job, the majority of the work it needed this time arround was in areas that didn't require attention the first time arround and so weren't touched.
The next time I'm in Scotland (planning a road trip holiday) I'll let you know, it would be nice to meet up I know Dave would like to meet up and then drive up to yours in convoy.
Keep up the good work and keep posting the updates.
BTW thats an impressive blast cabinet you've got there.
Regards gazzol

gazzol

Reaction score
Great work Malc, I know what you're going through the first CS I tackled many years ago was in a similar state to yours.
My current CS wasn't that bad in comparison as it had been restored in 1987 and to be fair they did an excellent job, the majority of the work it needed this time arround was in areas that didn't require attention the first time arround and so weren't touched.
The next time I'm in Scotland (planning a road trip holiday) I'll let you know, it would be nice to meet up I know Dave would like to meet up and then drive up to yours in convoy.
Keep up the good work and keep posting the updates.
BTW thats an impressive blast cabinet you've got there.
Regards gazzol

Dave B

Reaction score
Hey Malc,

Great to see pictures of the progress. you have been a busy chap!

I have been real busy but doing other things away from the CSi. Was kind of headhunted back into my old Dept at work, given more staff, equipment, training budgets, etc etc, so they got me back!

I have also been working on a website for the Tayside Classic Car Club, www.taysideclassiccarclub.co.uk At our last monthly meeting I was speaking to Gail Clark, who knows you from your rally life. Small world!

Welcome back. If you need me to pop up for measuring, seeing how bits fit together again etc just give me a shout!

Dave B

Reaction score
Hey Malc,

Great to see pictures of the progress. you have been a busy chap!

I have been real busy but doing other things away from the CSi. Was kind of headhunted back into my old Dept at work, given more staff, equipment, training budgets, etc etc, so they got me back!

I have also been working on a website for the Tayside Classic Car Club, www.taysideclassiccarclub.co.uk At our last monthly meeting I was speaking to Gail Clark, who knows you from your rally life. Small world!

Welcome back. If you need me to pop up for measuring, seeing how bits fit together again etc just give me a shout!

Malc

Reaction score
Thanks Gazzol and Dave!
Yes it is a small world, the Clark's are just down the road!

Gazzol the cabinet is home made from scrap steel, there's all sorts in there including bits from a Renault 4!
Cheers
Malc

Malc

Reaction score
Thanks Gazzol and Dave!
Yes it is a small world, the Clark's are just down the road!

Gazzol the cabinet is home made from scrap steel, there's all sorts in there including bits from a Renault 4!
Cheers
Malc

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Malc, great to see the progress. Some job. It will be very rewarding down the road. I think you are better off to keep the rear wing if you can salvage it. and yours look good.

Did the nose cone work out ok in the end from the green car?

Regards,

ROhan