Way to go Murray!

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Murray, our e9 ambassador

I've watched this about ten times now and love not only Murray's presence and his articulation of the essence of our beloved e9s, but the film direction and photography is quite well done. And to think I was driving up to Monterey with this guy and his son a few weeks ago!

As others have remarked, this piece is inspiring and a celebration of the car we all toil over, more than occasionally. But our "blue roads" make all of that worthwhile.

Prior to seeing the film, I was actually feeling a little down about my e9. I had just finished half a day's work last weekend installing a new-old rear chrome garnish between the tail light assemblies. I thought this would be a quick job as I have mistakenly though with most other DIY E9 jobs I've tried. There was mile long list of kid, wife and house stuff to do that day. After removing all the trunk trim, replacing missing screws/fasteners from the tail light assemblies, going back and forth to the auto parts store to find suitable replacements, re-attaching the insulation between the assembly and sheet metal, cleaning many dust covered parts, the inside of the rear lamp lens and bulbs/refectors, etc I fired her up to test the lights. No cornering lamp, brake lamp, etc and the front right turn signal was frozen on even after key and lights were turned off. I did some other errands to cool down (me, not the car) and try to figure out what I had done wrong -- or was the car telling me not to tamper with parts that haven't been touched since original assembly? I came back, turned her on and off and the rear lights all turned on as normal. What the heck? Oh well, I was back on best terms with my close friend.

Then this morning, which I will reference in another posting.

three cheers for Murray and our friend.

P

poadb

I love the the movie. The movie can also be watch on a iPhone with the help of an app - BMW TV.

/Per

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Murray and BLUMAX movie--

Be on the lookout for four more short subjects to follow soon--not about us--but about 4 others who are located around the globe with their own interesting "human interest stories".

Seems my story had triggered this to become an International undertaking--or so I was informed. Next up will likely be about a guy in South Africa--who studies small animals.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Awesome outpouring--

I hardly know how to express how touched I am at the kind words that have been coming our way for our little story. Thank you one and all!!

Was simply speaking from my gut as to how this particular car has registered so deeply as a "special thing" in my life. Casually named it now seems very appropriate and as such how many parts of my life it has been in these last 38+ years. Perhaps that sounds a little off the wall--but I assure you that it isn't something I have recently made up.

Just in the past month it was the catalyst for me to spend several days with my oldest son--a very rare and special treat for both of us. Late this afternoon he dropped by unexpectadly as I was grooming a recently acquired E-39 that came from one of our members--now sleeps between BLUMAX and LTLBLU2.

Dave brought me a double handful of excellent pictures he had taken at the Concours in Carmel and at the special BMW car display at laguna Seca. A real treat and we discussed plans for more car related outings in the weeks and months coming up. I have re-discovered my older son and how good it is to have time together--that's truly a gift from BLUMAX!!

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agree

A great clip - shows you what 2 minutes in the hands of a creative mind can do. Captures the timeless spirit of the man and the e9. Cheers again.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The only thing missing is Murray driving on the wrong side of the road to avoid the puddle left by the sprinklers! Don't we all do that? :cool:

Dan

tortaklo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Blumax

What a brilliant video! Congratulations to Murray!

And I'm glad to see that there is at least one other person out there with '80s Alpinas on an E9 :-D

Attachments

• DSC04597.jpg
    DSC04597.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 132

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Later Alpinas--

I had noted your near look alike of your handsome Coupe to the BLUMAX that Porsche '61 had posted--it appears we have a similar blue color scheme--

My guess is you are Nacht Blau metallic while I'm Atlantik Blau single stage--and both with black interiors fitted with the later Alpina wheels--never complaints as to their appearance from anyone to date--only compliments--and if need be we can always pull the caps and join the "open luggers"

And perhaps we enjoy similar driving practices as the BLUMAX will go very nicely--in spite of high miles on his clock--with his 3.5L equipped with a Hans Herman designed cam and a pair of Weber 38/38's he doesn't mind an occasional spirited sprint with another friendly driver when traffic is light--you know the Italian tune-up they all need from time to time!!

PS--thanks for your kind words as to my unscripted movie debut--and let Dan G--our Admin--know that I still successfully dodge those puddles that show up from landscape irrigation water.

DJSimca

Reaction score
What a fantastic clip!

This video has made news all over the world - because it is GREAT!

Congratulations to you Murray ;-)

I wish you many more years with BLUMAX

stco

Reaction score
Also in Europe these BMW unscripted movies are very popular. Having just bought a 2800 CS myself I really enjoyed this one. I hope I can drive it the next 40 years as well :mrgreen:

Are those Alpina's 16"? Can you fit lugs on any 16" Alpina wheel?

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Any lugs for Alpina wheels?

It was recommended that fresh lugs that have the correct angle for these wheels be used--seems they maximize the all important "grip" 'tween wheel and hub--at least that's my understanding.

Being prudent about my BLUMAX I purchased the 20 correct type lug nuts to mount the Alpinas. As I recall they came from Mesa Performance in Costa Mesa, CA. I also believe they are available from the Dealer at about 3X the price I paid--I don't feel slighted as to the quality of what I have for the lesser price.

johanaxelson

Reaction score
Seems to be a bit dusty in here, *sniff* Nice story and very wellwritten.

And thanks for being a great ambassador.

/johan

I hardly know how to express how touched I am at the kind words that have been coming our way for our little story. Thank you one and all!!

Was simply speaking from my gut as to how this particular car has registered so deeply as a "special thing" in my life. Casually named it now seems very appropriate and as such how many parts of my life it has been in these last 38+ years. Perhaps that sounds a little off the wall--but I assure you that it isn't something I have recently made up.

Just in the past month it was the catalyst for me to spend several days with my oldest son--a very rare and special treat for both of us. Late this afternoon he dropped by unexpectadly as I was grooming a recently acquired E-39 that came from one of our members--now sleeps between BLUMAX and LTLBLU2.

Dave brought me a double handful of excellent pictures he had taken at the Concours in Carmel and at the special BMW car display at laguna Seca. A real treat and we discussed plans for more car related outings in the weeks and months coming up. I have re-discovered my older son and how good it is to have time together--that's truly a gift from BLUMAX!!

stco

Reaction score
It was recommended that fresh lugs that have the correct angle for these wheels be used--seems they maximize the all important "grip" 'tween wheel and hub--at least that's my understanding.

Being prudent about my BLUMAX I purchased the 20 correct type lug nuts to mount the Alpinas. As I recall they came from Mesa Performance in Costa Mesa, CA. I also believe they are available from the Dealer at about 3X the price I paid--I don't feel slighted as to the quality of what I have for the lesser price.

Your rims are the 16" from the E30?