"Washing your e9"

BrewKaiser

Reaction score
What is everyone's approach to washing their e9? I have yet to wash mine but I am thinking I may need to consciously avoid the normal pressure washer and soapy water route in order to mitigate any potential for water ingress and future rust. So thinking a product like Griots spray wash and a terrycloth towel to get surface debris and dust is the way to go.

Am I overthinking and being overly concerned about not subjecting my vehicle to any water?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
What is everyone's approach to washing their e9? I have yet to wash mine but I am thinking I may need to consciously avoid the normal pressure washer and soapy water route in order to mitigate any potential for water ingress and future rust. So thinking a product like Griots spray wash and a terrycloth towel to get surface debris and dust is the way to go.

Am I overthinking and being overly concerned about not subjecting my vehicle to any water?

no water for me

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wipe it down with detailer spray before and after a drive. I drive it often so I don't worry about keeping it super clean. Once a year (or longer), I clay bar it so it does get the full wash with soap. No pressure washer though. I don't go looking for rain, but I live in a tropical climate so getting caught in a freak rainstorm can happen. I just drive it until it airs out and put it away as usual, but never wet. It's also been on several long trips with torrential rain with no long term effects. In my opinion, as long as it's dried off inside the fenders and other areas of concern before storing, it's not a big deal. Annual air blasting the debris out of the front fender seams and cavities is a must, along with checking and clearing the frame rail and rocker drain holes. In other words, all of the preventive measures that were not done when these cars were daily drivers.

BrewKaiser

Reaction score
I wipe it down with detailer spray before and after a drive. I drive it often so I don't worry about keeping it super clean. Once a year (or longer), I clay bar it so it does get the full wash with soap. No pressure washer though. I don't go looking for rain, but I live in a tropical climate so getting caught in a freak rainstorm can happen. I just drive it until it airs out and put it away as usual, but never wet. It's also been on several long trips with torrential rain with no long term effects. In my opinion, as long as it's dried off inside the fenders and other areas of concern before storing, it's not a big deal. Annual air blasting the debris out of the front fender seams and cavities is a must, along with checking and clearing the frame rail and rocker drain holes. In other words, all of the preventive measures that were not done when these cars were daily drivers.
Good to know. I was thinking about taking it to my detailer and having one good wash, color correction and then Ceramic. After that I should be fine with the Griots. I do blow all my cars off after a bath with the leaf blower, but not a bad idea to get the high pressure air hose out on a regular basis.. My other fun car is a Spyder, so I'm well versed at avoiding rain. My guess is the only really grimy parts will be from bug splatter. Windshield can be wiped down and front grill and top of hood can get a light wash down. Once Ceramic is on water just beads off and any grime comes off with little effort.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Where in NorCal are you? I'm in Rocklin and if you're in the valley anywhere I wouldn't worry about it too much. Don't drive in the rain and the rest of the time our weather is so moderate (and usually dry) I don't expect any additional rust issues.

BrewKaiser

Reaction score
Where in NorCal are you? I'm in Rocklin and if you're in the valley anywhere I wouldn't worry about it too much. Don't drive in the rain and the rest of the time our weather is so moderate (and usually dry) I don't expect any additional rust issues.
We are in each other’s back yards. I’m in Granite Bay. We need to get together for a drive!

Agreed on local climate. I have 5 vehicles now that are hand wash only, so washing cars is a regular occurrence hence my post.

jmackro

Reaction score
... I am thinking I may need to consciously avoid the normal pressure washer and
I wouldn't call using a pressure washer on a classic car "normal". If you drive through a lot of mud puddles, then a light spritz with a hose may be necessary, but with the way most classic cars get used, the procedures Stevehose discusses in post #3 are more typical.

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I LOVE keeping my rides clean. On my other cars I use a foam cannon but for my E9 I use ONR and red sponge

I HIGHLY recommend this. Here is what I do
1- Put 3 capfuls of ONR in 2.5 gallons distilled water. I get it at Safeway
3. I let the sponge soak in the solution and fill a spray bottle (I use a garden sprayer) with some of the solution in the bucket.
4. Start at top of car. I use the spray bottle and let the solution sit while I get the sponge
5. Take the red sponge from bucket and let some of the water to drain off it, but do not squeeze the sponge. You want to put allot of solution on the surface you are cleaning
6. Wash area with red sponge. Start at top and work your way down
7. Dry with microfiber towel
If you are super crazy durning the drying step you can spray a lubercant like Griot Garage Speed Shine

One last thing. I start with the wheels. I do you a hose and normal car cleaner on the wheels. I have Alpina wheels so I get a SEPARATE(I have dedicated bucket for wheels) bucket and use a Griot garage brush

I am VERY happy with this method of cleaning and it puts very little water on your car

The Griots Garage Spray on Car wash is OK for touch up but not to "Wash" your car safely

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can probably count on one hand how many times I've washed my coupe with water in the last 20 years. Those instances were after road trips like Monterey, the rest of the time I use Griots detailing products. Any time I get a hose near that car, I can hear Murray's voice asking me what I doing.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve washed my coupe with a garden hose once or twice a month for almost 40 years and it hasn’t melted or rusted away…….yet. Just avoid spraying directly at the problem areas like window gaskets and dry thoroughly. A spirited drive for good measure and enjoyment afterwards is also part of the final drying!

gwittman

Reaction score
My washing process is similar to Wobodog's, but I do squeeze out some of the soapy solution from the sponge before putting the sponge to the car. I rinse off the soapy solution with a towel that is wetted with water. I do the rinse a couple times and then dry with a soft towel. In addition to normal waxing, I spray on a wax as you dry product before drying with a soft towel. I only do one section in completion before going to the next.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have an ortho dial-a sprayer . Fill it with the agent of your choice, set it on zero to gently spray down the car then set to one ounce per gallon and then spray and wash. Simple way to deliver soap on the entire car. With that said, I wash my cars rarely and always on a dry hot day. They remain covered till use and then Griots speedshine in between.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i have not needed water, only once (i will tell later)

if you clean more frequently it is easier to remove dirt
i try to use a cloth sprayed with some quick detailer, usually diluted in more water to remove the major part of dirt and dust

then i use another microfiber with same product without dilution, and once a month i spray some sprayable wax
and a drying cloth to finish

only once i had to use a hose in the bottom, as a drive went to a coastal road wet in sea water, it was impossible to avoid, so i assume that part of the lower part got sea water, i had to use fresh water to clean and drive again to dry it

car has gone now through an intense resto, that included plenty of bodyshop hours to remove all rust, many new bits and panels, and dinitrol has been applied to all cavities, now being a zero rust example all times are forgotten (like tears in the rain, maybe)

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I wash my coupe, maybe three times a year, I wash it as a normal car and sometimes I even use the power washer. It's just water :D
But sure, all cavities are filled with oil/wax and so on.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was not washing my E9 so far because of lack of proper chemistry available on the market.

It would be require to wash E9's body, rubber, vinyl, velours, carpets and wood on the dash not damaging these materials and no causing more (even more) rust around.

The good thing is it is not keeping water either and the level of dirt is that new dirt have no chance to stick to the old one. ;)