Vintage Wilton vise and Atlas drill press resto

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My neighbor gave me his work bench so obviously it leads me to needing a vise. A vintage one of course. Not knowing a damned thing about vises, off to Craigslist and Facebook marketplace I go. Discovered the Wilton bullet style-very cool looking. Want. Apparently there is quite a collector following for these. Many for sale but not cheap. Stumbled upon one on FB that the PO painted everything flat black and priced right. Looked promising to this blind squirrel. Off to the Garage Journal forum for some research. Apparently this is a 1940’s model. Purchased it even though it was frozen. As found:

IMG_4473.jpeg

Paint stripped and disassembled for cleaning:

IMG_4490.jpeg

IMG_4489.jpeg

Forum experts tell me I have a rare pre-war casting, all Wilton vises during WW2 were sold to the govt for war effort. Cast in 1941-1942 based on markings. After the war ended they sold surplus to the public. Original jaws. Mine was sold in Jan 1946:

IMG_4487.jpeg

So I disassembled, cleaned, primed, painted, satin cleared, greased, and bare metal dressed with boiled linseed oil. Smooth as butter after 80 years. American iron. Weighs 40lbs. B-17 livery as an homage to it’s cast period. Lights make it look more glossy than it is. I’ll be putting it back in use keeping the E9 on the road!

IMG_4512.jpeg

IMG_4515.jpeg

There’s also a date stamp on the anvil pad, 2-18-1946, apparently this is when the purchasing company put it into service. Fun stuff!

IMG_4514.jpeg

Last edited:

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Now we’re talking. So cool. Looks like it came out of Harley Earl’s GM Styling Section.
Nice work!

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nicely done! Cool to know it's history.

You might want to invest in some aluminium jaws for the vice. The convenient ones have strong magnets to keep them in place.

Very handy if you want to clamp, for instance a thread without damaging it.

I make my own from a piece of angled stock and a screw on magnet. I replace the alu part every few years as it gets gnawed.

I also enjoy the rotating base under my vise, as it allows you to better position your body relative to your workpiece .

Attachments

• 20231128_082800.jpg
    20231128_082800.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20231128_082825.jpg
    20231128_082825.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Very cool. I've been looking on and off for a bullet vice for a couple of years now. Unfortunately, you need to find them locally as the ones for sale nationwide are very pricey. I probably should ask some of the family back in Wisconsin to help out in the search since the Wiltons were made in Chicago.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Given their age and beauty and practicality I would love to see an exhibition of tools like your vice. Something for MOMA to put up? Anyone here have any connections with museum curators?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Very cool. I've been looking on and off for a bullet vice for a couple of years now. Unfortunately, you need to find them locally as the ones for sale nationwide are very pricey. I probably should ask some of the family back in Wisconsin to help out in the search since the Wiltons were made in Chicago.
yes, this was made before they cast Chicago into the bodies, later Schiller. I am presently up in central NJ, between Philadelphia and Newark, lots of old manufacturing in this area so I figured it is better hunting than in FL which would require the vise to be lugged down there vs thrown out locally. I’m now on the hunt for a vintage bench drill press because, you know, I need one :cool:

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Finished the vise and now mounted on my bench. Who knew they make repop decals for these things? Had to get one. Copper soft-jaws also arrived.

IMG_4597.jpeg

This old tool resto stuff is fun, so now I’m moving up in class with this 1946 Atlas drill press. I bought it for $60 from the original owner’s grandson. It’s so freakishly cool with it’s War Of The Worlds art deco design:

IMG_4560.jpeg

For those wondering, the setting is my daughter’s kitchen this time :D It has no “arc of shame” which I’ve learned is drill press lingo for no one drilled through the table along it's axis. He said it works fine but the switch has been broken for ages so it starts when plugged in. I took an hour today to fix it by drilling the rivets to disassemble, cleaning and bending the contacts back in place, regrease, and replaced the crusty old cardboard internal insulator with thin plastic gasket material. The bakelite insulator is in perfect shape and the "Hurst 4-speed" ball head switch is also brilliant in its design and now works as new. Before and after pics:

IMG_4580.jpeg

IMG_4619.jpeg

I removed the pulley guard to asses whether to repaint the entire press 1940’s hammered silver/pewter (WW2 era Mercedes/Auto Union look), try to match the paint, or leave the patina. So I punched out the press screws (never seen these before) from the back side and freed the metal emblem to reveal the original color, a green/grey not too far off from one of the E9/E3 air cleaner colors:

IMG_4601.jpeg

I cleaned half of it to compare and it has come back so nicely I am considering the patina look. Looks like 77 years of cigarette smoke and diesel fumes preserved it pretty well. What would you do?

IMG_4617.jpeg

This drill press is original and in amazing condition the more I inspect it.

Came with original chuck tool!

72313802797__C20DBEF6-8A1A-45CC-BD40-9BBF340778AD.jpeg

Next up for analysis is the late 30’s - early 40’s Sears Kenmore 1/3 hp motor (actually made by the Sunrise/Packard company) that powers it. These machines are built like tanks. I will clean and de-rust the metal, inspect the bearings in both the press and the motor but I won’t be surprised if re-lubing is all they need. I’m going to clean out, rebuild, and repaint the motor.

IMG_4559.jpeg

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
looks great Steve ... i think you need to repaint it e9 air cleaner gray or csi air cleaner green / gray ... maybe a combination of the two

jmackro

Reaction score
You guys are making me feel guilty about selling a couple of my father's old tools on Craigslist earlier this year. I had his old Chas Parker vise and a 1960's era Craftsman drillpress. I have duplicates of both, wanted to reduce the clutter in my garage, so out they went. I was surprised at how many inquiries I got about the vise; the buyer explained that they are collectable.

Vise (5).jpg
Drill Press (7).jpg
Vise (2).jpg
Drill Press (5).jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was surprised at how many inquiries I got about the vise; the buyer explained that they are collectable.
Me too when I started looking, I think it is a combination of quality and nostalgia. The Parker is definitely collectable, I almost bought one but was too big for my needs. Atlas made the early Craftsman drill presses then they moved to another manufacturer for that era press. Both were well made.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
This drill press is original and in amazing condition the more I inspect it.
It looks amazing. I think the it was likely used by a home hobbyist on the occasional project. If it had been in a professional shop situation where it was used (and abused) daily, it would be in much rougher shape. Like cars, the key is to find lightly used examples. Nice going.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It looks amazing. I think the it was likely used by a home hobbyist on the occasional project. If it had been in a professional shop situation where it was used (and abused) daily, it would be in much rougher shape. Like cars, the key is to find lightly used examples. Nice going.
Thanks, but dumb luck factored high in this purchase.