Vintage Radio discussion questions

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Can you link to an example of an appropriate splitter? car audio is totally new to me. Hell, I don't even know how to spec an amp.
Looks like you don't need an impedance splitter, just a signal splitter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Y-Cab...no+to+stereo+splitter+rca,aps,202&sr=8-2&th=1

You could wire a male RCA plug to your existing mono out wire (use red for + and brown for - ) then plug it into the splitter, then the splitter goes into the speaker level amp inputs (make sure your amp has line level and speaker level inputs). Some amps don't use RCA for speaker level inputs, in this case you could just make your own splitter cable by taking regular speaker wire and cut 2 pieces, one each for the amp input, then wire the other ends to a single wire that goes to the Blaupunkt (3 positives and 3 negatives connected together).

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
I will be looking to get one of these soon.

otter74

Reaction score
Update: i decided that the easiest way to deal with this would be to find a suitable stereo Frankfurt, which I did. Now I have to exchange the Bluetooth unit again back to an 8-pin unit, but that's fine.

Henrik

Reaction score
I have just bought a Blaupunkt Skagen. Mostly because it has a DAB+ receiver (that are the standard in some European countries),FM, bluetooth, and hands free (buing a car radio without it is out of the question). It has a modest look that fits well into the coupe unlike some of the new bling bling retro radios. The best of it all is that you get a modern and hassle-free plug and play unit.
Skjermbilde 2024-03-26 kl. 13.55.27.png

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have just bought a Blaupunkt Skagen. Mostly because it has a DAB+ receiver (that are the standard in some European countries),FM, bluetooth, and hands free (buing a car radio without it is out of the question). It has a modest look that fits well into the coupe unlike some of the new bling bling retro radios. The best of it all is that you get a modern and hassle-free plug and play unit.
View attachment 179474

Curious
mixed feelings about design aspect and looks
but good for you

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Perhaps not vintage enough looking for everyone but I put in a RetroSound 4 speaker setup with a sub, 4 channel amp is behind the glovebox. I did not use their speakers but used some decent quality Hertz speakers as I wanted to fit the vintage speaker enclosures that were already in the car. The sound is surprisingly good, actually images quite well and is very accurate even at higher volumes.