up/backdated '74 at Autokennel

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
nice looking '74 with backdated bumpers, updated drivetrain.

http://www.autokennel.com/AutoKennel/Entries/Entries/2014/7/10_1974_BMW_3.5_CSi_E9_Sunroof_Coupe_5-Speed_Manual_with_Cold_A_C_Over_$135k_Nut_Bolt_Rotisserie_Restoration.html

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
really nice looking car and likely worth asking, - unlike some of the other uber-high priced but undocumented stuff out there... looks like a car seen before, and if so, the color is lighter than fjord. A nissan or acura color from the nineties.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Could someone post a clickable link. I keep getting the numbers and letters wrong.
Thanks.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not a rotisserie resto

I have seen this coupe, it is stunning.

This is not what I'd call a rotisserie restoration. Duane's coupe IS, there are 2 other E9's at Marios that ARE getting a "rotisserie" restoration. The coupe at Autokennel has NOT had it's undercarriage restored, just cleaned up a lot. It is very nice, but when people say rotisserie they mean the bottom side was restored to as new, just like the top side.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is not what I'd call a rotisserie restoration. Duane's coupe IS, there are 2 other E9's at Marios that ARE getting a "rotisserie" restoration. The coupe at Autokennel has NOT had it's undercarriage restored, just cleaned up a lot. It is very nice, but when people say rotisserie they mean the bottom side was restored to as new, just like the top side.

John,

Why do you say underside wasn't restored? Entire body was acid etched and primed. I remember it's debut at Legends in 2010 and just saw it again.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was looking at a different coupe at the auto kennel site...

I was looking at a different coupe at the auto kennel site...
This one is really spectacular and deserves to be a trailer queen. Can't saw I like the interior color scheme as it'd be too easy to get dirty. But for a show car ... Why not.

jmackro

Reaction score
Can't saw I like the interior color scheme as it'd be too easy to get dirty. But for a show car ... Why not.

To answer the "why not" question: most car shows are judged based on originality. An off-white dash & console on an e9 is simply not original (at least not to my knowledge).

While the quality of the upholstery work on that car is impeccable, and some might say the dash looks better than stock, looking at it from a judge's perspective, that's several points off.

I suppose if you really wanted to show it, you could enter a hot rod show and compete with the '32 Fords and '55 Chevys....

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The CCA Concours at Oktoberfest has stock and modified categories, with a b35 it's already modified so no deduction. And at most other CCA shows it's cleanliness, no credit for originality is given. Buy it, drive it and show it.

jmackro

Reaction score
The CCA Concours at Oktoberfest has stock and modified categories, with a b35 it's already modified so no deduction. And at most other CCA shows it's cleanliness, no credit for originality is given.

OK, I've learned something here. But once you get out of BMW-specific shows, originality (and of course, cleanliness) is the criteria. If I were to drop a tenth of a million on an e9, I might want to show it more widely than just at CCA events.

Then too, if I had $100K to throw around, I could probably afford to re-upholster the dash in black!

Last edited: