Transmission Conversion

Rangertom50

Reaction score
I am a current owner of a 1971 2800 CS with an automatic transmission. I am thinking of converting it to a 4 or 5 speed manual. I have always had a thing for manual transmission. I also beleive, perhaps incorrectly, that it is not really a sports car if it's not manual.

1 Would this lower the value of the car?
2 What's the big difference between the 4 and 5 speed. Pros and Cons?
3 How complicated is this undertaking?
4 Where can I buy a manual transmission for my E9 and how much will it cost?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rangertom

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
conversion

While not an expert, I was able to do the conversion very easily by following the directions on this site. Carl Nelson was kind enough to put step by step instructions on the FAQ section of the site. Basically, you need a 5 speed-getrag 265- no sense in using a 4 speed. You need to pull the auto trans-use for boat anchor, find a flywheel-not hard and have it re surfaced, get a pressure plate disc, throw-out bearing etc. Your best bet in my opinion is to call or email Ben at La Jolla Independent (Carl nelson's shop) and get the parts from him. They may be a little more expensive but you'll get the right stuff the first time. It helps if you have a place to do the work and some experience, or a friend who has replaced clutches-for example. If you are close to a shop with experience with the conversion you may want to have them do it for you.

Keep asking questions! Mine was a first for me, but I've done lots of mechanicals and I have a 2-post lift in my garage.

jamesw

Reaction score
If you're looking for a 4 speed I have a spare. Drop me a line if you decide to go this route.

Cheers
James

Rangertom50

Reaction score
If you're looking for a 4 speed I have a spare. Drop me a line if you decide to go this route.

Cheers
James
James and Peter. Thank you. I am sorry for being off line for a bit of time. I am doing to big projects right now; my 2800CS and I am also underpinning the foundation of my row house. One of this project alone is crazy enough an experience going through both at the same time is one hell of a ride.

James, how can I reach you? I want to give you my email but I really don't want to put my email on this public thread.

Peter, I would also like to email you and maybe even talk to you at some point to get some pointers.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Imho

If you plan highway driving any distance to car shows or just for fun, a 5 speed is the way to go. Car Nelson, Coupe King, sfdon, or Vintage Sports can make the swap from the correct year 5 series.

Check the salvage yards close to you.

Think about a lightened flywheel while you are in there ;)

Rangertom50

Reaction score
Back on the E9 Project.

So I have now successfully converted my low basement into and nice modern apartment. It is up for rent. I am now ready to tackle the E9 convertion. I also now have a dependable mechanic that specialize in restortion work. I even already purchased a used 4 speed transmission and all the stuff that goes with it (bell housing, drive shaft, clutch, everyting). However I am thinking since I am already doing this why not use a getrag 265 transmission and make it into a 5 speed. Here are my questions.

1 Is it a simply matter of just replacing the 4 speed transmission boz with the Getrag 265 transmission box?

2 Where can I buy a getrag 265.

Thank you for the help in advance.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don't use the old style Guibo......they suck.

Some numbers for you....
If you upgrade to the newer Guibo from the old hand grenade exploding version you will need to increase the dimension Carl lists for the auto to 5 speed by 15mm or .60 "
.75 " added to front section becomes 1 3/8 "

For a 4 speed to 5 speed conversion the numbers become cut the front section 3 3/4" minus
.6 " for a total cut of 3 1/8"