Tranny Conversion

tmason

Reaction score
Thanks Don!
I don't have a tranny support yet and the car is up a custom car ramp I built in my garage so it's at an angle and about a foot off the ground in the front and 4" at the rear so it's easy to roll under with a creeper.I way under estimated the beer for this project.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have an extra tranny support for the cost of shipping if needed- just let me know. I guess it's our duty to remove automatics from the road- no offense to anyone-please

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Harbor Freight is a tool junkies paradise.
Sort of the Ikea for men experience.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There's a great tool shop in the Bay Area run by a little old Chinese lady.
She has two of everything- one cheap and one good.

tmason

Reaction score
I would say this a 2 man job but the tranny is out with no help! Thanks again guys and I think X-'s idea on putting bell housing on 1st and gear box 2nd would make it easier getting the bolt at the top?

tmason

Reaction score
I received my clutch kit and starting to install but the alignment tool is larger then the pilot bearing so it won't go in. This isn't right it should go in the bearing? Thanks

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Happens all the time... Drives me nuts.
I can send you one priority mail on monday.

tmason

Reaction score
Is there any brackets that hold the shifting plate to the transmission or is it only the 2 bolts on the plate?
Thanks

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are two funky blocks, I did not have them when I sent the bracket- sorry. They bolt to the sides of the shifter plate then to the tranny. It is also supported in the back with a foam block sandwiched between the shifter and the tunnel. Though not a purist thing, I used a VW CV boot to isolate the outside from the interior Fits around the shifter. It is more substantial than the original rubber piece and helps in sound reduction.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here in New Orleans this thread title has a whole nother meaning! However, this is on my list (a 5-speed, not the Bourbon Street version) :razz:

tmason

Reaction score
Thanks Peter
It seems like there should be something to hold it to the tunnel.The bracket with the rubber bushing at the tail is at a 30 degree angle (down), could this be bent?

tmason

Reaction score
Chris
Are you saying that there should be a Lag bolt going into the plate and the bushing pressing to the bottom of tunnel?
After looking at the photo's in the tech section it looks like you use a bolt and a nut to fasten to the tunnel.

Last edited:

tmason

Reaction score
Thanks to Peter I got my bracket for mounting and looking at the pictures in the Tech section it seems that there is no rubber bushing between them? Is this right.
Thanks