Torque for exhaust manifold

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

MMercury

Reaction score
I'm going to take a run at installing headers today. I cant seem to find the torque value for the header/manifold nuts at the head. Anybody have a direct link to the torque values I could have sworn were in the repair manual here:

http://www.e9-driven.com/Public/Library/BMW-E9-Manual/pages/en/index.html

Thanks

torque_wrenches.jpg

There are always secondary sources. :wink:

However - caveat grande:!:, none of the sources are completely error-free. (Hint: A torque setting of "34 ft.lbs." for a spark plug in an M30 aluminum cylinder head is not recommended. Half of that number, 17 - 19 ft.lbs., seems far more appropriate. :cool:)

autobooks_manual_150.jpg

autobooks_manual_151.jpg

autobooks_manual_152.jpg

p_097.jpg

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I got them on the head without too much drama. Definitely a two person job to get them in. I have new cooper nuts to use once I have it finalized (thanks for all the input on torque settings). I'm going to install them dry at the head (no copper or silicone) with new gaskets supplied by Stahl.

But they are quite a bit longer than stock. Looks like I'll need to cut about 5" or 6" off. The thought of taking a cutoff wheel to a brand new part just doesnt feel right. Ill do it under the car because these were just too hard to get in there to contemplate doing it twice. I'm going to use red RTV at the flange with new gaskets-the old ones crumbled upon removal.

photo.jpgphoto1.jpg

I installed these with the wrapping still on to protect them (thats the white stuff)

Last edited: