Thinking of selling my 1970 2800CS

taylorcom

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning on selling my green '70 2800CS. I've looked at Nada and Hagerty and have some idea of its market value, but wanted see what you all think it's worth day.

It was my father's for many years and I acquired it in early 2006. Mechanically it is excellent, with low miles on an engine rebuild and new Zenith carburetors. But it needs body work (to the left rear), some rust repair (see pics), and fresh paint.

The beige leather interior is good, with a split seam in the driver's seat being the only issue. It needs a new high-beam switch and wiper-motor switch (I've installed ordinary switches that functionally replace these 2 switches). It also needs a window regulator on the driver side.

There is an intermittent silent exhaust leak (opening the windows helps) and the left-front sway-bar connector needs replacement.

From a collector standpoint, all components are correct.

I'm selling because I don't have room in my one-car garage for it (I keep my '72 3.0CS there). Location: Berkeley, CA.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:

taylorcom

Reaction score
Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0621, smaller.jpg
    IMG_0621, smaller.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0624, smaller.jpg
    IMG_0624, smaller.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0625.jpg
    IMG_0625.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0627.jpg
    IMG_0627.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 182

jmackro

Reaction score
Mechanically it is excellent....It needs a new high-beam switch and wiper-motor switch (I've installed ordinary switches that functionally replace these 2 switches). It also needs a window regulator on the driver side. There is an intermittent silent exhaust leak (opening the windows helps) and the left-front sway-bar connector needs replacement.

Your definition of "excellent" may differ from that of your prospective buyers. I would suggest fixing these mechanical issues OR striking the words "Mechanically it is excellent" from your description.

Unfortunately that rust under the rear window looks nasty and will result in a discount from the Nada and Hagerty prices. How is the rust elsewhere on the car (front suspension towers, floors)? E9's rarely rust in just one place.

Not trying to insult you or your car - just trying to help avoid a disgruntled buyer / lawsuit.

taylorcom

Reaction score
I'm always happy to avoid angry customers and litigation, so I could just say the motor is excellent and avoid a blanket statement.

Yes, that rust under the left rear window is nasty and extends through the body panel (but not through the metal panel that the back seats rest against). It is the worst of the car's rust and I don't think suspension towers or floors are affected (tho I should check carefully before finalizing a statement.)

It starts and runs well, handles like a sports car, quite different from the 3.0CS, which has more of a luxury car feel.

Thanks for the input.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
YOu mean, any ideas on what to price it at?

From the small amt of pictures shown, hard to say.

MAYBE $8k?

taylorcom

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Here are some interior pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0635.jpg
    IMG_0635.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 141

taylorcom

Reaction score
And here's the engine. It was rebuilt not too many miles ago by Taylor Co BMW + MINI Independent Service, Pomona, CA. They also installed the new carbs.

Attachments

• IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 160

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No one can properly value that car until pics are posted in focus up close of the area right behind the struts.
I think I see something but easily could be wrong.