The Market

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This car was an RNM this morning on BaT at $62K. That's $8k less than what it sold for in 2017. Is the market that bad for sellers or are there other factors?

I don't think the car looks any different between 2017 and today. I'd guess there are even more BaT members than 6 years ago. Does Car Week help or hurt this week's BaT Auctions?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I doubt Car Week has a huge effect on the market. If it did, there would be bottom feeders looking for deals this week.

Given Pelly's comments, I think this auction is telling us that demand for our cars is down quite a bit.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I pity the seller. If it was me, the last thing I would want is to have my "little" (by comparison) auction go in the middle of the biggest high profile car auction week of the year. In fact I would probably avoid all of august to stay away from the pre and post car week fever entirely

Then again, it only takes 2 bidders...

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I pity the seller. If it was me, the last thing I would want is to have my "little" (by comparison) auction go in the middle of the biggest high profile car auction week of the year. In fact I would probably avoid all of august to stay away from the pre and post car week fever entirely
On the other hand, you have a large pool of buyers thinking about buying a classic car during Car Week. Surely some of them will tune in to BAT.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Or do the sales follow the stock market?
I would think sales would be up in times of high inflation but I don't think we saw (are seeing) that. "Things" at least sound like a better investment than depreciating dollars but if they are depreciating too, then what?

The stock market is close to a 5 year high.

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.22.17 PM.png

and up ytd

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.29.37 PM.png

Maybe it's the economic uncertainty?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would think sales would be up in times of high inflation but I don't think we saw (are seeing) that. "Things" at least sound like a better investment than depreciating dollars but if they are depreciating too, then what?

The stock market is close to a 5 year high.

View attachment 167022

and up ytd

View attachment 167024

Maybe it's the economic uncertainty?
Weird, given classic cars are not finance purchased one would think there would not be an interest rate sensitivity like real estate.

Uncertainty does matter I agree.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe it’s a bit slow for some sales recently but I don’t think the market is too bad….eg this just sold for nearly $2 million, which was way over estimate.

IMG_5397.jpeg

Last edited: