The b35 Saga Begins

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Five months later the block is back in my garage and she's a beauty! Still collecting new parts, I may not pull the old motor until September, too many fun drives to enjoy before then. I will put the head on and get everything ready though. And no, my garage is not as pristine as Gary's, damn it.

Looking good Chris.
Painted your block black which is what almost all BMW blocks are painted.
I'm thinking of blue like the Roundel blue. It's so much easier to see leaks and stuff.
I'm a ways behind.
Still waiting for my pistons from Paul. Arrrgggg!

No, wrong choice of words. Pristine it is not.
In fact it's about the messiest it has ever been. Not only is the coupe engine on an engine stand but all the parts from removing the head from my S38 motor are all over. Two different forums but after a rebuild on the S38 5 years ago and 26000 miles one cool morning it develops a sticky valve guide in #5 exhaust. Long story short my machinist used the same valve guide clearance for the exhaust valves as the intake valves. NOT.
The S38 develops a good bit of heat in the exhaust side and those clearances need to be about .004 bigger than the intake. So it is being rebuilt as well as the M30 head. What fun. I ran out of Ziplock bags I had so many parts to keep separate.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As I tell my wife when I have parts in the kitchen, it's objet d'art!

Five months later the block is back in my garage and she's a beauty! Still collecting new parts, I may not pull the old motor until September, too many fun drives to enjoy before then. I will put the head on and get everything ready though. And no, my garage is not as pristine as Gary's, damn it.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FYI- Paul has caught up on all my stuff lately, everything.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes Barry,
you can order through Mark like Chris mentions.

There is also a web site but it is not very complete.
http://www.performancepartsracing.com/

Paul is just a different kind of guy. He is all things engines and numbers but doesn't care to use the computer so hence no emails.
Paul wrote up this detailed story about how to do the timing on an S38 motor. This is a motor with dual overhead cams and with adjustable cam gears you can gain some free power. While he was writing it he either hit the wrong key or something happen to the write up and that was that it was gone and he never tried again. He told a friend on mine on the phone how to do this and then my friend did a write-up.

I've know Paul for 6 years or so and consider him a friend. I am rebuilding an M30 3.5 for my coupe and ordered a cam and pistons 11/1/13. I've had the cam for a little over two weeks and my pistons are not here yet.

So if you do buy be prepared to wait.
Gary

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Installing the little things is the most rewarding, no greasy fingers and no busted knuckles. I still need to swap some throttle body parts, torque the crank nut, hang alt and PS brackets which also got plated and a few odds and ends. And much work still remains although the spiraling costs have almost ended.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 353

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Luis,

All Alu was tumbled and then clear ceramic coated at Speedway near here in Santa Ana. Wipes clean with a Kleenex!

Chris

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice finish. Wonder if that is available locally?

It must be. I Googled tumbled aluminum and found a place very near me. Ceramic clear coat should also be available locally.

Chris sets the bar pretty high. I suppose in a pinch you could ship the parts to Speedway but for you that may entail customs and other hassles.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Oil Pan

Chris,

Which pan are you going to use? Will you keep the original B30 oil pan or do you need to use the pan from the B35?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All Alu was tumbled and then clear ceramic coated at Speedway near here in Santa Ana. Wipes clean with a Kleenex!

There's no Kleenex in a shop!

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sven,

Paul added metal around sides of stub inlets and then opened them up. On the C runners my son ground off the bosses, welded the stud hole and I will have to ask how he got them to match the original finish.

Or we could just send them to your son :)