Switching to an electric cooling fan

jmackro

Reaction score
twistinglane said:
Is mechanical or electric is more likely to fail on the road? If electric failed without audible warning more of a risk?

Belgiumbarry said:
i think electric are quite reliable ...... Once driving , let's say above 20 mph , they have no use , wind by driving is already more than what they can produce.

Electric fans are certainly quite reliable - especially when only used as needed. As Belgiumbarry points out, most of the time the cars motion through the air provides sufficient airflow to cool the radiator - no fan is necessary. That's why my electric fans are switched by a thermostat in the radiator rather than run continuously; the fan only comes on when the car is stopped for a few minutes on a hot day. So 99% of the time the fan isn't powered. Using a relay to switch current to the fan, and being meticulous about the quality of the fan circuit wiring, also increase reliability.

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is mechanical or electric is more likely to fail on the road? If electric failed without audible warning more of a risk?
Electric fans are certainly quite reliable - especially when only used as needed. As Belgiumbarry points out, most of the time the cars motion through the air provides sufficient airflow to cool the radiator - no fan is necessary. That's why my electric fans are switched by a thermostat in the radiator rather than run continuously; the fan only comes on when the car is stopped for a few minutes on a hot day. So 99% of the time the fan isn't powered. Using a relay to switch current to the fan, and being meticulous about the quality of the fan circuit wiring, also increase reliability.
A Jay Mackro endorsement is always highly respected. Since I've already gone to the dark side by moving my battery under the rear seat, and if, as established earlier, it is only a question of "looking stock", I might go back to that earlier decision of going electric.
Jay, when you say "a thermostat in the radiator", are you talking about a Bosch temp sensor in one of the outlet at the top of the thermostat housing or some other system?

jmackro

Reaction score
when you say "a thermostat in the radiator", are you talking about a Bosch temp sensor in one of the outlet at the top of the thermostat housing or some other system?

Truth be told, I still run a red, mechanical fan in my e9. But I have installed electric fans in a couple of my Alfas and control them with a sensor like the one pictured below. I cut a hole in the radiator bottom tank and solder in the fitting shown on the right. Then, gripping the fitting with a wrench (so it doesn't apply torque to the solder joint) screw in the temp sensor.

ASSF__94693.1506203546.1280.1280.png

By "temp sensor in one of the outlet at the top of the thermostat housing" do you mean the type shown below? I dislike that type as they tend to cause leaks - at least for me.

prf-30104_xl.jpg

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
There are also temp sensors that adhere to the exterior of the rad or tuck in at the top hose connection. But most of the later e9’s Have a temp fitting on the thermo housing.

So going electric is trivial once you find a fan that fits.

Last edited:

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
W&N sells a thermostat housing ( to be used with a specific thermostat ) that has several connections ( M12 and M14 ) , so enough possibilities for sensors... They also have nice blanking plugs for the ones you don't use.

TH.jpg

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
By "temp sensor in one of the outlet at the top of the thermostat housing" do you mean the type shown below? I dislike that type as they tend to cause leaks - at least for me.
No. I mean the sensor like in in your top pic going into a similar thermostat housing as BelgiumBarry shows.