Suggestions for Air Dam Repair

BrewKaiser

Reaction score
While tying down on the trailer, the e-track roller idler came loose and sprung up into the corner of the front air dam right in front of the tire. Looking close, the material almost looks like Bondo, but I suspect it's some form of a resin.

As I don't want to go through the trouble , and expense, of a full replace and paint job - not sure I can even find a direct replacement - I think I can "glue" the section back together.

Looking for suggestions on adhesive to use and possible approach. I know it won't be perfect and some body work and re-paint to that area will be necessary.

Apologies to all my Northern CA friends here that likely heard me shout all manor of unsavory things....

Attachments

• AirDam_damage.jpg
    AirDam_damage.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 63
  • AirDam_location.jpg
    AirDam_location.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 64

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I broke my front spoiler on my m4 and had good luck with fiberglass cloth and resin. Bondo also is a good choice for the backside that does not show.

BrewKaiser

Reaction score
J-B weld two part epoxy in syringe https://www.autozone.com/sealants-g.../p/j-b-weld-autoweld-syringe-25ml/1265970_0_0

Seems to have done the trick. It dries white so almost unnoticeable on my paint. Light sand with 1000 grit wet/dry.

When I do more extensive body work this will be properly filled and painted.

For now, it’s a good quick fix without having to take air dam off and risk doing even more damage.

Attachments

• IMG_6684.jpeg
    IMG_6684.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 27

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Air Dams tend to be the most expensive part on a Coupe. Had to patch, repair repaint every year for years costing several thousands of dollars. I even bought a second air dam as a back up.

The last repair was in 2018. Had Xpel installed on both air dams & haven't needed the spare yet.
We've driven Athena on horrible roads on some tours & trips. From crushed stone, hard-packed-dirt, deeply-rutted-dirt & rock-lined by small trees & brambles. Driving on roads suitable for high ground clearance vehicles. Have a few times "plowed dirt' with the air dam, leaving a triangle of coarse sand in the lip & still haven't had to repair or make use of the spare.

BrewKaiser

Reaction score
PPF on the Air Dam is not a bad idea. May do so after the area is re-painted or touched up. For now the JB Weld is holding up great and hardly noticeable unless you know to look.

My mechanic was adamant that I should not let my wife drive the E9 to avoid any damage to the air dam and wheels. :D

Breiti

Reaction score
As recommended, I only drive there car (Audi TT conv.) by myself and hit a curb hard by myself while picking her up in there city (cause she don't drive the car...)

Breiti