Steering wheel suggestions...

Frankie123

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I’ve recently purchased my first coupe and it is currently in reasonable shape. It puts a huge smile on my face every chance I get to take her out for a spin, as I’m sure many of you can relate to, however there is a slight problem which I am finding annoying.

The current steering wheel on my coupe (which I know is not originial) is in a pretty poor state, and couple that with the hot Sydney weather and some sweaty hands and I end up with black rubbery stuff on my hands which doesn’t feel great.

So the question I have is this. What replacement wheel should I be chasing that would possibly give me a petri look without the petri price if that’s possible?

I am looking at doing a restoration down the track but I feel that the current wheel just isn’t giving me much driver satisfaction in the mean time.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Frankie

Attachments

• 0D0BB401-E054-46B6-A2B1-F7EB26C3499F.jpeg
    0D0BB401-E054-46B6-A2B1-F7EB26C3499F.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 195

Frankie123

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Frankie,
Your best alternative and ‘affordable’ Wheel could be an Alpina 4 spoke Wheel. Those are often for sale on eBay and brand new from Walloth too. Very nice looking and great value for what it costs. Take a look. Complete package.

https://www.wallothnesch.com/alpina-lederlenkrad-komplett-mit-nabe-73-00-00-19186.html

Keshav

Thanks for the suggestion Keshav. I do like the idea of it being a brand new wheel and it being a complete package in one place, however I think I prefer the look and feel of a three spoke wheel.

Wladek

Reaction score
You can buy brand new Momo Prototipo - they are available in two options: black or silver anodizing.

Frankie123

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can buy brand new Momo Prototipo - they are available in two options: black or silver anodizing.

It seems the general consensus for an E9 wheels size is 380mm is that correct? 350mm considered too small?

Is the prototipo available in 380 with correct hub?

Wladek

Reaction score
In general Prototipo where available in 380mm, but they are unavailable as brand new & the prices are almost the same as Petri's.
Look at the forum threads like "show your steering wheel".

dpdapper

Site Donor
Reaction score
Although not inexpensive judging by prices on eBay, my choice would be the Nardi three-spoke. And then you have to buy a hub adapter and horn button.

24c30ca8c04fb90669e9ec3c68a87315.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
IMHO 38 cm is big... i like my wheels 35 and 36 cm.
...........34 and sure 32 is to small.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have a 36cm nardi on the car right now, with original type hub. this will change to petri 38 when the painting / engine swap is complete. i have no issues with the 36cm size due to the power steering. i think the 38 / 40 cm size looks just fine on the coupe.

many good steering wheel looks on the coupe to work with your budget
petri - best IMHO, but expensive
nardi - reasonably priced, period correct, either in wood or in leather
alpina - momo prototipo 38 - originals expensive
alpina - 4 spoke

Frankie123

Site Donor
Reaction score
i have a 36cm nardi on the car right now, with original type hub. this will change to petri 38 when the painting / engine swap is complete. i have no issues with the 36cm size due to the power steering. i think the 38 / 40 cm size looks just fine on the coupe.

many good steering wheel looks on the coupe to work with your budget
petri - best IMHO, but expensive
nardi - reasonably priced, period correct, either in wood or in leather
alpina - momo prototipo 38 - originals expensive
alpina - 4 spoke

Thanks for the many replies guys. Really appreciate the input.

I think that an original 380 petri will always be on my wish list so I will keep an eye out for one when they come up.

The 350 petri on eBay looks quite tempting although I’m not sure if I will regret the smaller size having not felt a 350 in my hands.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
unfortunately, you are 1 1/2 weeks late as a beautiful one sold on this forum. i honestly think either a 38 or a 40 is a great fit. i like the feel of the 38, but at 3/4" larger diameter, the 40 just looks great in the coupe.

Frankie123

Site Donor
Reaction score
unfortunately, you are 1 1/2 weeks late as a beautiful one sold on this forum. i honestly think either a 38 or a 40 is a great fit. i like the feel of the 38, but at 3/4" larger diameter, the 40 just looks great in the coupe.

I did see that one but unfortunately I was too late. I think the difference for the Australian time zone contributed to me missing out on that one :(

Last edited:

JDH

Site Donor $
Reaction score