ST swaybar mounts

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
So this set of ST swaybars came with the car. But upon trying to install the front one, there's a problem. The supplied mounting brackets for the front are too long to fit in the allotted space, and the tabs are too narrow for the slots they go in. I notice the instructions list this bar as fitting E3, E12, and early E24, but not E9. Is there a difference? The bar itself seems to fit fine. A photo of an OEM mount looks like it has neither of these problems of course, but I'm not sure if OEM brackets will fit over the ST bushings. Are they larger overall? This new bar is 28.5mm. Unfortunately I don't have the original brackets in hand to compare, but I may be able to find them among all the parts and answer my own question.

The length issue: I could cut them off easily, but I'd have to slot out the holes, and that still leaves the tab issue.

Here's the tab compared to the slot. Probably not good for strength if the tab is so much narrower.

I have no idea what the bars on top of the brackets are supposed to do. Can't see any purpose for them. Strangely, one is solid and one is hollow.

And a stock one for comparison. Seems to have a shorter length and a wider tab, but does it fit over the ST bushing?
71oh0%2BIRrwL._SL1500_.jpg

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe Carl (La Jolla) can sell you the correct ones. I purchased a new away bar set from him and he included the correct brackets.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
only IMHO,
wait a second, they will fit into the available space, but you can not place them like that !
first, do not cut them or they will be useless
then, you can not introduce it laterally but tilting it, first introduce the tab frontally,( from behind), and then tilt it down, it will fit
second, there is absolutely no problem with that tab (narrower than the hole), forces do not compromise thedifferent in size between hole and tab

Bwana

Reaction score
^^^^What deQ said. You have the correct parts, they're just a bitch to install. Seems like I used some very long leverage device to get the tab in the slot but I don't remember what. I think I may have ultimately bent mine a bit but they straighten back out when bolted up tight.

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not the case unfortunately, they would not fit. I have no idea how long these swaybars have been sitting around, it's likely ST has improved the design since these were made. Once I cut off the useless bars on top of the brackets that prevented any attempt at installation, and shortened the overall length to fit in the allotted space, the bolt hole was still 1/8 inch away from lining up. Definitely not a matter of forcing it into place. So I'll slot the hole and weld a washer on top to strengthen the area. I have a new welder arriving tomorrow, so I set this project aside for now.

I found the original bar bushings, and was able to answer that question: The ST brackets and bushings are bigger. You could not put an original bracket over an ST bushing. Somewhat obvious I guess, if you could, they would not send new brackets with the kit. The original bushings were 30mm thick, and the ST are 35mm.

The whopping size of this new bar (28.5mm vs. 16mm for the original) makes me wonder if the hook system is going to withstand the increased force. Has anyone had the hooks snap off due to installing larger bars?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I change my bushings and end links on ramps, the tension is really minor. The brackets and subframe come together well, just use channel pliers to pull them together until you get the bolt started

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Modifying the brackets is not getting me where I need to be. Looks like you can buy the whole installation kit from ST for around $100, but not just the brackets. Before I do that, I'd like to be sure I'm getting different brackets than the ones I have. Does anyone have a recently bought but not yet installed ST kit that can measure and photograph the brackets for me?

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bump. Still looking for recent photos of ST mounting hardware so I can know if buying a new hardware kit will solve my problem.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have an unopened set at shop.
Will post pics later this am (10-11)

CookeD

Reaction score
I had the same problems, and placed the bars on a shelf, and have since lost the mounting parts. I'm hoping to take another shot at getting the bars in for next year, and would be interested in buying a mounting kit that fits if possible. Thanks in advance on this!

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had the same problem when I fitted my big bar.

In the end I cut the bit with the little slot in it off the sub frame and had some (4mm?) plates welded to on so I could use a 2 bolt saddle.
The rear saddle bolt uses the standard bolt hole and the front bolt hole on the saddle hangs out the front over the track rod mount and uses a nut and bolt.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pic of the kit...

Attachments

• IMG_3801.JPG
    IMG_3801.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 89

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Don! That's the same no-fitting crap I already have. Uhhh... lemme know how the install goes :D I won't be wasting $100 on a new hardware set thanks to you.

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had the same problem when I fitted my big bar.

In the end I cut the bit with the little slot in it off the sub frame and had some (4mm?) plates welded to on so I could use a 2 bolt saddle.
The rear saddle bolt uses the standard bolt hole and the front bolt hole on the saddle hangs out the front over the track rod mount and uses a nut and bolt.

That sounds like exactly what I had in mind. Both to overcome this problem, and the potential problem of the slot breaking off of the subframe due to increased bar stiffness.

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had the same problems, and placed the bars on a shelf, and have since lost the mounting parts. I'm hoping to take another shot at getting the bars in for next year, and would be interested in buying a mounting kit that fits if possible. Thanks in advance on this!

I spoke to Korman and they said they can order the mounting hardware kit from ST for roughly $100. I assume the same would apply to the rear as well, so at $200 you're well on your way to the entire price of the swaybar set. If there's any other brands of swaybar kit available, I would strongly consider going that way in light of the mounting problems seen here.

On the rear I had to slot out the mounting holes in the subframe. Not the biggest deal ever, but also not a direct fit.

CookeD

Reaction score
Thanks SFDon for the image; I had the same hardware. Of note, the rear bar install was no problem, but seems like I did drop the exhaust to do it. The front, on the other hand, was not going in any way I tried it.

Is there a better kit to use? I'm almost at the point where I'd scrap the ST bars to get an install that doesn't require modification to either the bar hardware or the chassis.