Speedo disasemble

Dave L

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how the speedo unit comes apart. Not the cluster, just the speedo. It appears as though the speedo mechanisim sits in a metal "cup", around the speedo cable attach is a nut that (when off) releases the mechanisim inside to be taken out. It is all kept in the cup by the glass window and the polished metal ring around teh perimiter of the glass. How does that polished ring and glass comes off? It doesnt appear to be threaded and it doesn't appear to pop on/off with pressure. If anyone has taken apart an e9 speedo, let me know how.

Dave L

Dave L

Reaction score
Speedo fix

Naaa, that web site does me no good. Thanks for the thought though! I dont have any problems figuring out the inside, its opening the housing that I can't figure out. That web site is more for the e12,24,28 gear repair issue. It will be very helpful when I fix the odometer on my 635. Right now I just want to figure out how to open a e9 speedo housing.

Dave L

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Speedo opening

To do properly without damage to ring and possibly the glass requires spcial tools.

Suggest that you take it to Gail's Speedometer Service in Costa Mesa--they have been doing all of my BMW speedo work for 30 years. Reliable and skilled. Mike is owner--949-646-9120

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
To do properly without damage to ring and possibly the glass requires spcial tools.

Suggest that you take it to Gail's Speedometer Service in Costa Mesa--they have been doing all of my BMW speedo work for 30 years. Reliable and skilled. Mike is owner--949-646-9120

+1

i tried to disasembly one of these instruments, that they seemed all made the closing in the same way

it was almost impossible to do it without knowing that for sure you won´t close them in an appropriate way, sorry i can not help,

you can see my work done in here:
http://e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7939&page=2

Dave L

Reaction score
Speedo fix

I hoped that I could do it myself. I just need to repair/replace the needle, it's just rattling around in there. I've used Gale in Costa Mesa before. for another car. they did good work. When I spoke tho them they asked me to bring in two speedos (if possible, so they have one for parts).

I just have this thing about trying to do everything myself before I go out into the world for professional help;-)