Speaker grille info needed...

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hopefully, attached, you can see the inquiry of my ignorance ( a new forum title...:)...)
Which is the top of the grille? One "band (facing) " is 13mm and one is 15mm. Anyone with an original dash to check to see which goes on the top near the chrome trim, and which goes next to the vinyl tray? I've probably pulled fifteen or so apart, and ignorantly never really checked. Pic one shows the difference...pic 2 shows the back side with the dimensional differences...AND the grille cover doesn't center on the frame...slightly higher on the 13mm band. From the water stains on pic 2 I'd guess the 15mm band goes at the bottom, so I may have answered my own Q,. I looked at "interior photos" and a 71 brochure, but saw nothing definitive; would still like to see/know what they were virginally...
Why does it matter..? because there is a wooden fin on the vinyl tray that almost touches it upon install....

Attachments

• speaker grille alignment.JPG
    speaker grille alignment.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 99
  • spkr grl 2.jpg
    spkr grl 2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 93

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i believe wider at bottom also. here are the drawings i did a while back of the front panel and back panel. mine measured 12mm and 16mm (top + bottom)

Attachments

• e9coupe - speaker grill - back.pdf
    11.5 KB · Views: 74
  • e9coupe - speaker grill - face.pdf
    720.4 KB · Views: 70

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't you dare make me check to see if I put mine in correctly. Dave, somewhere here is info on the color pantyhose to buy (yes pantyhose) that best matched the backing of the original grille.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks fellows....
I remember the pantyhose thing...I have a dark brown fabric (pic 2) from JoAnn that looks good, (and doesn't have lycra or spandex type thread that UV will eat)..and another that is closer to the original, (pic 1) sort of a rusty (appropriate..) colour...and the two compared (pic 3)
I haven't figured out a way to laminate the grille and frame with the cloth in the "sandwich" and make it not permanent/not reversable, in case the fabric goes south...
First world problems, huh?

Attachments

• IMG_3725.JPG
    IMG_3725.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3726.JPG
    IMG_3726.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3728.JPG
    IMG_3728.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 85

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Piggy backing onto this thread since it fits under the same title...

Could someone please measure how much the speaker grille protrudes from the dash? This would basically be the thickness of the wood plus (if appropriate) the gap between it and the wood dash (in case it doesn't sit completely flush). I sold mine to a member and I need this dimension for a project.

I was hoping to find it in @rsporsche 's most excellent drawings above but, unless I am missing it, it doesn't seem to show thickness.

Thank you

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Piggy backing onto this thread since it fits under the same title...

Could someone please measure how much the speaker grille protrudes from the dash? This would basically be the thickness of the wood plus (if appropriate) the gap between it and the wood dash (in case it doesn't sit completely flush). I sold mine to a member and I need this dimension for a project.

I was hoping to find it in @rsporsche 's most excellent drawings above but, unless I am missing it, it doesn't seem to show thickness.

Thank you
On mine, wood plus fabric (which also goes against the dash) is 2.75mm. Without the fabric is 2.41. Width of wood, fabric and backing frame is 8.83. Total width from front side to end of push stud is 20.65.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fantastic. Thank you so much Steve
So this means that, when installed, the space between the front of the grille assembly and the rest of the dash is 8.83 mm, correct?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fantastic. Thank you so much Steve
So this means that, when installed, the space between the front of the grille assembly and the rest of the dash is 8.83 mm, correct?
No, the frame doesn't contact the dash so the distance the grill protrudes from the dash is 2.75mm - call it ~3mm.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
@deQuincey ; o how nice the wood looks!

I just pullled up this image and i think it shows that the height of the top band almost exactly matches the width of the side bands. Though i can't see the bottom, I think it thus must have the wider band on the bottom. In line with @Markos and @rsporsche

Image curtesy of our own site :
1713425971946.png

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I could imagine that every E9 at the end of production line have had trimmed gap of the center speaker to correspond with the other "gaps" Karmann crew did in the particular car.