Source for cross drilled brake discs?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Unless you are also adding some really big calipers I don't think they will perform much better than the original rotors and will look out of place behind a nice set of staggered Alpinas. Just my 2 cents.

Chris

SicilianE9

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Chris,

I am not impressed by the standard E9 brakes and I have experienced a gain in braking performance on my other cars by adopting cross drilled brakes.
It is also the only tolerated change by the german TÜV if you want to keep the historical plates.
I will be participating in quite a few alpine rallies and some of them in winter.
Cross drilled discs not only improve Heat dissipation but also prevent that water gets trapped between disc and pads delaying braking.

Being a reversible alteration,i will accept the esthetical divergency.

Best regards

Luc

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i asked a similar question to a noted east coast USA performance and restoration expert - familiar with e9 coupe cs / csl as well as racing e30 M3, etc. his comment was that the most important thing to improve e9 braking was to replace all of the bushings to urethane or solid - depending on your comfort tolerance. he advised this over increasing disk size / bigger calipers.

I am not impressed by the standard E9 brakes and I have experienced a gain in braking performance on my other cars by adopting cross drilled brakes.
It is also the only tolerated change by the german TÜV if you want to keep the historical plates.
I will be participating in quite a few alpine rallies and some of them in winter.
Cross drilled discs not only improve Heat dissipation but also prevent that water gets trapped between disc and pads delaying braking.

Best regards

Luc

SicilianE9

Reaction score
i asked a similar question to a noted east coast USA performance and restoration expert - familiar with e9 coupe cs / csl as well as racing e30 M3, etc. his comment was that the most important thing to improve e9 braking was to replace all of the bushings to urethane or solid - depending on your comfort tolerance. he advised this over increasing disk size / bigger calipers.

This is being done as we speak, along with new calipers (originals) better ferodo pads and Castrol SRF Racing Brake Fluid but as mentioned before it does not help in draining the water between pads and rotors and unfortunately winter or rains lasts here around 10 months a year...LOL

SicilianE9

Reaction score
Sounds like the TUV is tougher than even the MOT for the Brits?

There is an ongoing discussion about what car should get amhistorical number plate, the first result was that a restored car would not be original therefore excluded!
Now they realised the mistake and are adjusting the parameters....
But essentially if any transformation is not period correct you would be excluded...lets wait for more details!

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score

Best regards Luc

hi Luc, I have seen stock Zimmerman rotors for other BMW models can also be supplied by Zimmerman with cross-drilling. I do not even know if Zimmerman still makes rotors for E9 or E3, but if they do and this is a TuV-allowed change I am sure they will have them cross-drill now too.

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score

I’m feeling a bit stupid on this one :confused::confused::confused:. What are or where are these magic bushings that make the brakes work much better ? THANKS ~ John Buchtenkirch

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score

I’m feeling a bit stupid on this one :confused::confused::confused:. What are or where are these magic bushings that make the brakes work much better ? THANKS ~ John Buchtenkirch

Its not really "magic" John, fresh bushings fore (control arms) and aft (trailng arms) are necessary for securely linking your brake capability from the contact patch on the road (small surface) to the car (3000 pounds of forward motion.) Makes sense when one thinks about it.

When refreshing suspension rubber I prefer new stock rubber parts for everything except the end links on the sway bars, and will go with urethane for these. I consider urethane to be WAY overkill for re-bushing suspension on a street car. Same goes for the diff hanger and subframe mounts in the rear...stock new rubber always best for a street car.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Haven't seen cross drilled but haven't really looked.
Have them on my E28 M5 and like them. Ended warped rotor problem.

Remember E9 and E12 brakes cross over. Might try looking there.
Here's list from RealOEM.

E12 518 Sedan, M10, Europe, AUTO (3661) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 518 Sedan, M10, Europe, AUTO (3621) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 518 Sedan, M10, Europe, RHD, AUTO (3662) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 518 Sedan, M10, Europe, MANUAL (3611) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 518 Sedan, M10, Europe, MANUAL (4611) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 518 Sedan, M10, Europe, MANUAL (3651) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 518 Sedan, M10, Europe, RHD, MANUAL (4612) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 518 Sedan, M10, Europe, RHD, MANUAL (3652) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 518 Sedan, M10, Europe, RHD, MANUAL (3612) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 520 Sedan, M10, Europe, AUTO (3761) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 520 Sedan, M10, Europe, AUTO (3721) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 520 Sedan, M20, Europe, AUTO (4721) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 520 Sedan, M10, Europe, RHD, AUTO (3762) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 520 Sedan, M10, Europe, RHD, AUTO (3722) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 520 Sedan, M20, Europe, RHD, AUTO (4722) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 520 Sedan, M10, Europe, MANUAL (3751) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 520 Sedan, M10, Europe, MANUAL (3711) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 520 Sedan, M20, Europe, MANUAL (4711) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 520 Sedan, M10, Europe, RHD, MANUAL (3752) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 520 Sedan, M10, Europe, RHD, MANUAL (3712) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 520 Sedan, M20, Europe, RHD, MANUAL (4712) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 520i Sedan, M10, Europe, MANUAL (3731) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 520i Sedan, M10, Europe, MANUAL (3771) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 520i Sedan, M10, Europe, MANUAL (3731) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 520i Sedan, M10, Europe, MANUAL (3771) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 520i Sedan, M10, Europe, RHD, MANUAL (3732) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 520i Sedan, M10, Europe, RHD, MANUAL (3732) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 525 Sedan, M30, Europe, AUTO (3821) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 525 Sedan, M30, Europe, AUTO (3861) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 525 Sedan, M30, Europe, RHD, AUTO (3822) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 525 Sedan, M30, Europe, RHD, AUTO (3862) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 525 Sedan, M30, Europe, MANUAL (3851) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 525 Sedan, M30, Europe, MANUAL (3811) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 525 Sedan, M30, Europe, RHD, MANUAL (3852) : FRONT BRAKE
E12 525 Sedan, M30, Europe, RHD, MANUAL (3812) : FRONT BRAKE

If you find some please let us know for the future.
Gary

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
E12 crossover, but wouldn't E24 as well? The older E-12-based ones? E12, the rears won't work (solid), but E24s would???

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Luc,

Back in May of 2014 I bought a complete set, front and rear, of drilled and slotted rotors for my 1974 3.0 CS- Sixto/BMW 745/M106 project. The company is called CBrakes and they were located in Southern CA at (714) 720 6413 0r [email protected]. I just looked them up and they still have the same very simple website. I bought their product on eBay and it was for "BMW 3.0 CSa CSi 71-74 Brake Rotors Fr+Rr (331188829145)". I paid $285.35 and shipping was free to Northern CA. I have not lit the engine on Sixto or driven it but in moving the Coupe around they appear to work fine. No telling yet how they will perform on the street. The slotting requires the correct orientation to slice off brake material as they are applied as you may already know.

Hope this is useful info.

Regards, Jon

Sam Lever

Reaction score
Hi Chaps,
I know these can be bought from Walloth & Nesch in Germany, who ship worldwide if you need them. I always thought the brakes on my CSL were fabulous - and they were the (generally considered) inferior twin tandem servo set up for the RHD models. I did track days for over a decade and used standard discs with EBC Greenstuff pads (I know, everyone hates them, but they were great in that car) and stainless braided hoses. I did eventually replace my fronts with drilled discs from W&N and they are perhaps a little better, but the standard set up was brilliant, and easily as good as any tyre could cope with. 20 minutes round Silverstone GP circuit or Donnington Park and the pedal was a little longer, but no fade of any description. Hope this helps