Smell of Petrol / Gas

Ian_fegan

Reaction score
Depending on which part of tbe world you are from, my newly restored 3.0 CSi pictured beneath has a bit of a petrol or gas smell going on. No visible leaks. Tank seems sound and all fuel lines are new. Smell is only noticable wben the car is running. Any guidance on managing this in a fuel injected car?
20170825_145815.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ian,

i assume that you have the CSi dual lines to the fuel tank. do you have the tank between the fuel filler door and the right rear wheel (inside the trunk)? if so, this is likely the source of the smell ... most people in the states have rerouted the vent hose from the filler to the aforementioned tank ... down and out of the trunk ... to vent directly to the atmosphere.

Simufly

Reaction score
Prbably a weeping junction on the injection piping. There are approx 15 clips on the rubber to metal pipes. It only takes one to be not quite sealing for a a dribble of petrol to appear. It can be difficult to see as the fuel rail to injector joints are hidden behind the intake pipes.

Bwana

Reaction score
Ian,

i assume that you have the CSi dual lines to the fuel tank. do you have the tank between the fuel filler door and the right rear wheel (inside the trunk)? if so, this is likely the source of the smell ... most people in the states have rerouted the vent hose from the filler to the aforementioned tank ... down and out of the trunk ... to vent directly to the atmosphere.

This is where my smell came from. Yes, just re-route the vent to directly outside and it was fixed

lloyd

Reaction score
Depending on which part of tbe world you are from, my newly restored 3.0 CSi pictured beneath has a bit of a petrol or gas smell going on. No visible leaks. Tank seems sound and all fuel lines are new. Smell is only noticable wben the car is running. Any guidance on managing this in a fuel injected car?
View attachment 29920

It's no blarney that vaporized fuel may not leave obvious visual evidence. It might be helpful if you could localize the fumes to a vehicle section, e.g., the cabin, the boot area or the bonnet area. Of course, a moving vehicle with moving air or even air flow due to an engine driven fan can easily result in odors far from the actual leak source.

The fact that the fumes are only evident with fuel pump running indicates that leakage is most prevalent when system is under pressure. Off the top of my head and in addition to the other suggestions, I would recommend carefully examining the lines near the pump and connected mini tank (near the rear axle). Another easy-to-overlook area is the fuel filter typically found under the battery tray. I would even trace the fuel lines that feed the engine. That includes the pressurized lines attached to the fuel pressure regulator and each injector and the cold start injector. Any one of these areas is leak prone, not just because they involve the use of pressurized fuel line that you may have replaced, but because each connection is mechanically "clamped," and those clamps have a tendency to loosen their grip over time. Not unlike perfume, it only takes a few dribbles of fuel in a forward area to permeate the cabin or boot area.

60009001.jpg

31030004_z.jpg

31030003_z.jpg

32051001_z.jpg

53211002_z.jpg

51511003_z.jpg

64501001_z.jpg

51504002_z.jpg

51511001_z.jpg