smaller brake booster help

coupelady

Reaction score
Hello! Come celebrate with me that "Das Coupe" (1972 3.0CS) is currently being groomed to be driven this spring! Todd, the trusty Master Technician, found while looking over the braking system several very concerning things. The coupe sat most of the year 2023 due to our health issues and the battery spewing acid under the hood (broke me a bit). The issue at the moment is that Todd and I would like to replace the brake booster as it has an oily substance in it which should not be there he says. I have consulted my records, I have not located yet where the booster was changed to get a part number or which BMW it came out of. I believe I remember when we changed to the triple side draft webers, we needed the room so the OEM booster was removed and I believe a used 3 series booster was installed. I have seen so many beautiful coupes with engine swaps recently, I thought someone might have a more recent feel for what is needed without reinventing the braking system for my car. Todd found many of the plastic hose connections about to break so I am thrilled to be able to go through all of this to make sure I have some necessary/good stopping power. My restoration was completed 32 years ago so I am always on the look out and impress upon the Technician if something needs replacing let's do it now. Of course finding parts can be a hassle but we all know that........... Thank you in advance for any and all help! Amy Lester, NC

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oily substance is likely leaking brake fluid from failing seals in brake master.

Lucky you that the brake master seems to be on sale these days.

If your current booster does indeed fit and function you should consider a rebuild for a 1/3 of the cost of a new one.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And if your booster is not what you want-

Go see Hal!

Best booster guy in America!

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you for the info! What is the best way to reach you Hal?
You are very welcome. I will PM you with direct contact information. I am always happy to help fellow enthusiasts with questions.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Amy - good to see your getting your car road worthy. Do let us know which events you will be attending.