Shaved or Aluminum Flywheel

Ephriam K. Williams

Reaction score
Has anyone used a shaved or aluminum e12 flywheel on an modded engined e9 car? If so, how much did you shave off (or is that something that they will know at the shop)? On an aluminum one, how light is too light? How did it affect idle? Stock 3.0/3.5 engine? Modified/Displaced engine? Carbs/FI engine? Pro's/Con's?
Regards,

x_atlas0

Reaction score
The stock 3.0 flywheel is already quite light without being too light at around 12-15 lbs, if I remember right. This mod is much more important in the later dual-mass flywheel cars, when the thing weighs a good 30+ lbs. M30 aluminum flywheels at this size will usually be about 9 lbs.

Malc

Reaction score
Ephriam K. Williams said:
Has anyone used a shaved or aluminum e12 flywheel on an modded engined e9 car? If so, how much did you shave off (or is that something that they will know at the shop)? On an aluminum one, how light is too light? How did it affect idle? Stock 3.0/3.5 engine? Modified/Displaced engine? Carbs/FI engine? Pro's/Con's?
Regards,
Take care lightening a standard flywheel they can shatter at high rpm. Most racing ones are made from steel rather than the cast item. Aluminium ones are expensive.
Yes it will effect the idle, but the choice of cams, and fueling will also effect this.
Engine size is a matter of choice, but 3.5 engines from E28 etc are easier to find.
As to modifying the engine is pretty good in standard form but giving the head a good porting will help
Fueling - depends what you intend to do, carbs can be a pain to set up correctly and the type and size is critical.
Modern programmable FI with throttle bodies would probably be the best all round solution
As with all things of this nature it depends on the depth of your wallet!
Malc

Ephriam K. Williams

Reaction score
Just...

Thank You. I just heard on how this mod is a really good one. I have two 3.8 m90's. Just wondering how much it would help. But my engines rev up pretty quickly already. Guess it would'nt help in the HP department??? :?: :idea: Presently in both cars, I have standard Euro flywheels (both from 635csi's). No problems as of yet. Wondering if it's one in the making.Will these be okay for the longhaul, or should I consider something else? Just getting prepared to do some major bodywork on the 6er and want to do little things like the above mentioned , but only if they will help. I plan on doing a Scott Andrews (doing mostly everything myself). :D :) :( :shock: :? 8) :?: :idea: It would be my first. Feeling cocky though still biting my nails about the idea. Thinking small mods like this while it's all out of the car and apart will make it just that much better once it's back together again. What do you guys think? Sorry for ranting on just appreciate the experience and expertise here.Once again, Thank You and I look foward to hearing your collective knowledge on the flywheels question and the bodywork.
Regards,