selling my 73' CSL

gumby1953

Reaction score
Well, Uncle Sam
says I need to sell something to pay him what I ooooooo! Should I go to e-bay or stay here with the E9 group! I don't want to give it away but I would also like to get a fair price! It aint a perfect car but it runs pretty good! It does need window rubber and the tool caddy is cracked up and missing tools! If it has rust its hard to find! The paint is a 7 and the interior is an 7.8. I showed it a few months back as a Newbie to the Forum! I'm thinkin 40-60K USD range. Its not that I don't like the car....its just not a Porsche (thats my business) so the non Porsches go first!! My loss your gain, what are your thoughts?

Kevin gunnarracing.com 561-844-8482- in Florida[/list]

jmackro

Reaction score
Without seeing photos it is difficult to comment on price. I would say that to get into the $40 - 60K price range, you are going to need to do some work - thoroughly detail the car, take a lot of photos, expose it to a lot of prospective buyers, deal with some dreamers & deadbeats, etc.

Not that I love ebay, but if you want maximum price, you need to have as many people as possible see the car - that's just the law of averages - the odds that a big bucks buyer will fall in love with your car is greater when many prospects (yes, including some flakes) can see it. Of course, with exchange rates as they are, exposing it to buyers who pay in Euros can't hurt either. So, I'd suggest posting it on the E9 board, ebay, Craigslist, local club newsletter, ...

Good luck with your sale

gumby1953

Reaction score
Thanks JMAKRO,

My first Porsche shop (75 to 79) was at the end of Camino Capo dr. I saw the Swallows return to the Mission many times. I will be posting detail photos later and If I don't get many responses (real buyers) I will go worldwid on E-bay. Cudos to the E-9 site tho! Its a Great site for Experts and Bimmer Weinnies like me!!

Remembering Doheny when there was surf!

Kevin Jeannette

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Put it on mobile.de too, prime place in Europe to sell a CSL. Ls are big in Holland too for some reason, get someone over there to list it wherever possible.

chicane

Reaction score
gumby1953 said:
Well, Uncle Sam
says I need to sell something to pay him what I ooooooo! Should I go to e-bay or stay here with the E9 group! I don't want to give it away but I would also like to get a fair price! It aint a perfect car but it runs pretty good! It does need window rubber and the tool caddy is cracked up and missing tools! If it has rust its hard to find! The paint is a 7 and the interior is an 7.8. I showed it a few months back as a Newbie to the Forum! I'm thinkin 40-60K USD range. Its not that I don't like the car....its just not a Porsche (thats my business) so the non Porsches go first!! My loss your gain, what are your thoughts?

Kevin gunnarracing.com 561-844-8482- in Florida[/list]

$40-60K!!!??? Was it owned by Elvis? Forget about selling the car here. If the price range is more than $4-6K you are going ot have a hard time finding a buyer on this board.

chicane

Reaction score
coupeguy said:
Somebody wake chicane up to the reality of CSL values, here there and everywhere.

I'm fully awake. Maybe coupeguy needs a lesson in the falling dollar. And in the condition of the car being sold. And in the number of guys on this forum who even own a CSL.

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
No lessons needed, if there is one thing I do know its real life values of E9s, especially CSL. My guess is the seller will get what hes looking for. Maybe not on this forum, but someone will pay that.

chicane

Reaction score
coupeguy said:
No lessons needed, if there is one thing I do know its real life values of E9s, especially CSL. My guess is the seller will get what hes looking for. Maybe not on this forum, but someone will pay that.

so what is he looking for $40K or $60K? That is an awfully big spread with a whole lot of variables including condition, history, et al.

If a guy is selling me a car and says he will take between $40K and $60K ...i'm offering him $38K.

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
My personal opinion is its a mistake to give a range like that, set a price, any price and advert it that way. On ebay, set a high reserve, you will get off ebay offers and might ultimately get more when it doesnt reach your high reserve. Put it on German ebay as well if you go the ebay route. I think using ebay to get the word out on your car is well worth their relatively modest fees for a no sale. As for offers, Chicane, that is always the prospective buyer's option, no matter who or how its sold. Absolutely essential you put the Scheels in it before you photograph the interior for sale. A CSL without Scheels is not a CSL. Check to be certain the engine number does match the vin, its stamped into a flat land above the starter motor. A very thorough detail is also essential to be top dollar.

chicane

Reaction score
coupeguy said:
My personal opinion is its a mistake to give a range like that, set a price, any price and advert it that way. On ebay, set a high reserve, you will get off ebay offers and might ultimately get more when it doesnt reach your high reserve. Put it on German ebay as well if you go the ebay route. I think using ebay to get the word out on your car is well worth their relatively modest fees for a no sale. As for offers, Chicane, that is always the prospective buyer's option, no matter who or how its sold. Absolutely essential you put the Scheels in it before you photograph the interior for sale. A CSL without Scheels is not a CSL. Check to be certain the engine number does match the vin, its stamped into a flat land above the starter motor. A very thorough detail is also essential to be top dollar.

No Scheels and steel doors. Based on the condition presented, as an authority on E9's what would you offer?

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Another post indicated he has Scheels, my suggestion is that he put them in the car, if not reupholstered, do so. I would not make an offer, especailly in that range without seeing and evaluating the car in person myself. Steel doors are very common, of the 8 CSLs I have owned only two had aluminum doors, most came from BMW with steel doors. If the toolbox is broken, fix it or buy a good one from me. Get the tools from BMW, they sell a set thats complete other than some small items like allen wrenches, valve adjust tool and feeler gauges.

chicane

Reaction score
mark said:
who's thinking what i'm thinking?

I don't know. Tell us what you are thinking and we'll tell you if it was the same thing we were thinking.

gumby1953

Reaction score
Whoooooo Boys and Girls,

I'm new at the BMW thing but not the thing!! You guys (not all tho) need to know that I am-was just trying to get "feedback" as to what the CSL is worth ....should be worth......can be worth!! I like how you think the 40-60 price range has any meaning on anything but what range this car might sell for! Don't you all think I'm able enough to google BMW CSL and see what the others are selling for.....Hello!! As much as 100K for a really "Dandy"one (and thats to cheap)! I'm not thinking mine is worth anything near that but I asked you...the E-9 Forum Dudes to elaborate on my "topic" of selling a CSL. I don't care where its worth whatever I can get for it....Europe, Asia, or even the USA! I just asked a few simple questions!!

OK, first of all, the CSL should be worth more than their selling for, (good news to owners, bad news for buyers). In case anybody needs an education on "Big Dollar" Car sales (at least Porsche's), the market keeps going up, yes thats right....up!! The rich seem to have figured out that in tough $$ times, it better to own something of Solid Value, like Art, Land, Collectibles, ECT ECT!! RS Carreras will set a new world record, selling near the Half Millie mark!! This is in Hard Finacial times!! So if i'm the Jonny Appleseed Dude to help the Verry Special BMW find its way to bring home some bacon to the Folks that own them....so be it! Some of you might not like the fact that Porsche can fetch huge dollars (lets forget about Ferrari for now) but don't forget BMW made fewer really cool "Lightweights" than Porsche did!! Don't ya think the cool Bimmers should get a little more "Respect" now!! All of the other known "Cool Car's" keep shooting up in price! Even the Americain "Muscle Cars"!!

So back to the 40-60 range thing. In my profesional opinion the BMW CSL should be worth at least 100K for an avarage condition car....and all of you Experts and Wennies you can "Quote" me, "the BMW CSL will be traviling north on the "Payday scale" as soon as the Porsche and Ferrari Guys figure it out!!"

Always A BMW Newbie,
and call me or e-me to give me Shi_ if you wish...
Kevin Jeannette gunnarracing.com 561-310-1986 (Cell)

chicane

Reaction score
gumby1953 said:
OK, first of all, the CSL should be worth more than their selling for, (good news to owners, bad news for buyers). In case anybody needs an education on "Big Dollar" Car sales (at least Porsche's), the market keeps going up, yes thats right....up!!

Should be, could be. Condition is everything. No not all vintage cars go up in value. I there was a Ferrari bubble in the early 90's and Ferrari values tanked. E9's have never held their value over time when compared to other comparable vehicles like the Carrera RS of the same vintage.

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/Profiles/2006/October/German/

The fact is "The Rich Guys" are going to spend their dollars on a premo original or restored CSL and are not going to buy a car that needs a lot of TLC when there are premium examples that are on the market.

gumby1953 said:
So back to the 40-60 range thing. In my profesional opinion the BMW CSL should be worth at least 100K for an avarage condition car....and all of you Experts and Wennies you can "Quote" me, "the BMW CSL will be traviling north on the "Payday scale" as soon as the Porsche and Ferrari Guys figure it out!!"

Think again, I can buy a nice vintage Ferrari for a $100K, and would do so before spending that mush on a CSL. Put your car on Ebay and see what the market will bear.

pj

Reaction score
Kevin,
In my humble opinon you should be fine if you put it up in that range , guys will pay what they can to get into a csl.As coupeguy says get it as clean as possible,fix all the little bits and wave goodbye to her.The really clean restored csl's are hitting 100k so you should ask a minimum of 40 up to 60+.
Good Luck
PJ

gumby1953

Reaction score
Hello Chicane,

Your name explains why we have to speed you up!!
(Chicane: Trickery....a series of slow or difficult turns to slow the field in maybe a dangeroug spot on a racetrack!) Its a cool handle (name) and a "Play" on words for this discussion!

Anyway, your right that the Rich guys want perfect goods...whatever they might be! But don't forget its the smart guys, Rich or Poor that make the decision to buy when it appears there is a "small one" on the verge of becomming a "Big One" ie: the CSL! How manny times have you heard...."You snoooz you loooze". Well if you or anybody can buy a CSL in any shape today for less than 30K I suggest you buy it and do the "Backyard" restoration if you can afford it, or just let it sit in a dry space in Grandma's garage and wait for the rumbling of the Price Hike thats going to happen to the CSL.....steel doors or not!

We have to start somewhere don't you! Or is it You have to start somewhere don't we!!

Thanks for your feedback Chicane,
Kevin

acat2002

Reaction score
to quote X_Atlas0 from an earlier and separate post..
I'd say a large part of the reason behind the civility is the higher average age and general maturity of our members.

This has proven to be THE most civil forums I've stumbled across, so let's try not to get our knickers in a twist over our individual opinions of value. (not that you were even asking for an appraisal in the first place - I understand)

Gumby, like you, I'm somewhat of a newbie to the E9 world. More experience with P-car values. We should start a separate thread discussing how E9s compare to other GERMAN collector cars. Bet it would be intersting as it seems that there is quite a bit of depth and breadth of experience on this board.

If I may moderate for a moment by saying that there are a limited number of CSLs crossing the radar screen on this board, so your's is bound to generate some buzz and opinions. Forget about opinions of values for the moment, I would agree that a car (any vintage car) needs to be well sorted and documented to be properly marketed. Examples with "no stories" will always command the $$$$. SCM article makes a good point also regarding overall "bang-for-your-buck".

Sounds like you're in a bind and must sell (been there w/IRS many times). Thanks for your candor, but not a good way to start promoting your selling efforts IMHO! That said, I understand why you haven't taken the time to sort the small details and fully document all details. I'd just be prepared for a discounted sale price (off of whatever market value is currently for a #1 or #2 CSL) if there is still sorting and some unknowns.

I'm NOT a fan of FleaBay, but that will definately be the venue for you if the car is not 100%. There are more suckers on EBay than at a Barrett-Jackson auction! One caveat is there are definately more flakes/deadbeats. I'm betting that most people on this board are very "measured" individuals and nobody here will start a bidding war on a CSL that needs a little sorting.

Have you considered consignment or a broker? (you must know some well connected car brokers in your line of work).

Whatever the case, be so kind as to share the sale price with us when you do get it sold.