Seem very cheap!

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder what happened to the wood grab part across the lower dash? Does anyone know why the LHD cars don't have that wood piece?

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder what happened to the wood grab part across the lower dash? Does anyone know why the LHD cars don't have that wood piece?

At least in the US, in the mid-sixties, the government mandated US automakers to remove real wood from interiors of cars (I think veneers were still ok). All in the name of safety, in case the wood broke in accident and somehow impailed you. That's why Corvettes moved away from real teak steering wheels to fake wood plastic - I think that was in 66.

Please don't quote me on any of this, it might all be BS that I read somewhere 30 years ago. :)

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Two theories on the beautiful wood being only in RHD.

1) It is getting harder to find LH trees.
2) The RHD design was done after the LHD was complete, so somebody had a chance to make things even nicer.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Whole dash looks a little "cobbled"...wrinkles in the vinyl to the right of the steering wheel, and the aluminum trim strip is face-screwed, and not factory trim piece...

Last edited: