saving a cs

Malc

Reaction score
DustyM said:
If fluid was squirting out of the bleed screw on the clutch slave cylinder when you bled the fluid through then the hydraulics are probably working.

Another possibility is that the clutch friction plate has rusted to the flywheel so even though you are depressing the clutch it is not disengaging.

To free it off try starting the car in gear (fourth?) with your foot on the clutch - Make sure there is plenty of clear space in front of you!!!

Let it warm up first though!
foot on clutch and brakes helps!
Agree with Dusty M lots of space required!

Reaction score
Question regarding clutch master cylinder spring: I do not believe there is one internal to the master or the slave cylinders. Most clutches return (push back) under the force of the clutch pressure plate itself.

saveacs

Reaction score
Hmmm.... Yes, of course it would! That makes sense.
It could be that somehow the slave and master pistons are out of sync. Even though the slave is completely retracted, the master may not be. (or vice versa) That way, completely depressing the clutch pedal does not completely disengage the clutch.
Tomorrow afternoon's job! That, and see what kind of distributor I have so I may order a pertronix!
Anyone have input as to whether it's worth getting an Ignitor II over a regular Ignitor?
Thanks!

Malc

Reaction score
saveacs said:
Snip...
It could be that somehow the slave and master pistons are out of sync. Even though the slave is completely retracted, the master may not be. (or vice versa) That way, completely depressing the clutch pedal does not completely disengage the clutch.... End Snip
Its possible that master piston is not returning all the way, this might make the pedal feel very soft. If the slave piston was stuck part the way down it's bore than this would partly disengage the clutch itself.
If you bleed the system, adding fresh fluid, while your under the car you may heard the piston/clutch components moving. (two person job)
I would bleed the system a a matter of course as the fluid could of been in there ages and it does absorb water causing all sorts of problems.

saveacs

Reaction score
Post updated.
I'd like to run a little poll to get an idea of what size tires fit well on these old sweeties.

What size of tires are you running?
Thanks!

Joeri

Reaction score
tires

Hi there,

My 73 3.0 CSi is running on its original 14" wheels with 195/55/14 tires on the back and 185/55/14 on the front axel.

I believe this is the original tire size, off course not the best solutions if your looking for the best performance... but I like mine as original as possibel.

greetz

Joeri

Tierfreund

Reaction score
Re: tires

Joeri said:
Hi there,

My 73 3.0 CSi is running on its original 14" wheels with 195/55/14 tires on the back and 185/55/14 on the front axel.

I believe this is the original tire size, off course not the best solutions if your looking for the best performance... but I like mine as original as possibel.

greetz

Joeri

That size is so incredibly off and not even close to what is original. In fact, the sizes you´re running give you a much smaller circumference and thus shorter gearing and a pretty awkward look.

The stock tire size for the CS (no matter what year) is 195/70/R14

normally on wheels 6x14 ET22

the CSL had 7J14 ET11 with the same 195/70/R14 and those wheels could be had as an option on regular CS in later model years.

Popular (period) changes were to 205/70/R14 which fit on the alpina and alpina style 7x14 or the BBS Mahle 7J14 ET11 very well.

Any other tire / wheel combo, especially bigger diameter wheels are at least not period correct (and imho look strange on a car of such obvious vintage)

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
that is totally amazing
good for you
what an excellent find for the price of the doors
have a great build

jmackro

Reaction score
tires

Hi there,

My 73 3.0 CSi is running on its original 14" wheels with 195/55/14 tires on the back and 185/55/14 on the front axel. I believe this is the original tire size...

As Teirfreund wrote, no, that wasn't the original size. Were tires with aspect ratios as low as 55 even available in the early 1970's?

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Old threads that get resurrected is not a bad thing, it just proves that people use the search function. There's a toss up between posting something that's been posted before or bringing back an old thread after doing a search. Either way its not a big deal...