Retractable CS seat belts

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Some coupe owners in the past have asked about the rectractable seat belt conversion from the 74 US coupes. Don't know if the 74 and beyond Euro coupes also have this seat belt assembly. Here is the setup on my 72 CSi. The hook is for "hanging" of the belt only and offers no structural support so belts need to be "unhooked" during use. The single mounting hole for the belt reel assembly should be on the car already therefore no modification should be necessary.

e0a1ca5da7aed0dcf428e0ff90c14093.jpg

12e7a510a03c406620c2aaf9a078279f.jpg

258d8163d44e7ffcc90cd94cef767e1c.jpg

28df404fd508c6ac445111f9df7b5bcb.jpg

19d82d605449a072b0ff6930c1f7e05d.jpg

94deef783a103e3d1444065f48f0c407.jpg

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not to hijack your thread, but where can I get the plastic guides that are mounted on the sides of the back seats? Anybody? TIA

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Bert

I have a question for you... Did your chassis have 2 mounting options for the retractable under the arm rest? I have an older 71 and I think it only had 1 mounting point and therefore I had to modify the arm rest wood framing to make it fit underneath.. I was told I was lucky to have the mounting point as older chassis did not come with them..

Just curious..

Gary

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
bmwmadman said:
Bert

I have a question for you... Did your chassis have 2 mounting options for the retractable under the arm rest? I have an older 71 and I think it only had 1 mounting point and therefore I had to modify the arm rest wood framing to make it fit underneath.. I was told I was lucky to have the mounting point as older chassis did not come with them..

Just curious..

Gary

Hey Gary, as evident by the belt mounting point pic, there are two treaded holes on the chassis. The upper hole is for the standard mounting position but the lower hole, I don't know what application it is for.

Bert

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ed G said:
Not to hijack your thread, but where can I get the plastic guides that are mounted on the sides of the back seats? Anybody? TIA

Ed, I have not seen these brackets come up for sale individually but periodically, the armrests with the brackets have come up for sale on ebay and especially German ebay. Usually, they are pretty cheap for the set.

Bert

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
hdavis said:
Thanks for the pictures Bert.

So all I have to do to convert my car to 3 point belts is call Maximillian and pay him $1,239 dollars (plus shipping)! :shock:

http://www.bmwmobiletradition-onlin...el=3435&mospid=47811&btnr=72_0313&hg=72&fg=05

I know, I know it's my safety and even though it seems like a ton of money, I should go ahead and buy them.

Wow!!! That's a quite a sum of $$$. I bought a set of these belts back around 1991 from Max for exactly $341.43. I'm with you Henry, if I were in need of a set of belts today, I'd too would bite the bullet and shell out the $$$. It is a more elegant and convenient seat belt system than the tangle of spaghetti belt webbing that most coupe owners have to contend with.

Bert

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I bought mine about 8 months ago from La Jolla. Same set as Bert has... It was about $800 then.. Has the dollar dropped that much more in the last 8 months? Wow. Carl even had them in stock..

coupeking

Reaction score
Seat Belts

It's not that the dollar has dropped against the Euro, but that BMW's pricing policy for parts for our 'old cars' has become flagrantly rapacious. Carl told me last week that the new cost for the '74 belts is $700/side, which would correspond to the recent pricing quoted on this thread.
I like a good 2 point retractable seatbelt on my coupes just fine.
FWIW...
Peter
coupeking

DJSimca

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can obtain a set of rear armrests - with the cutout for the seat belt as shown in the first picture?

The armrests would need to be black.

coupeking

Reaction score
Seat belt modifications

DJ-
Those parts should be easily obtained, as they come in any of the '74 and later coupes.
Please be aware that these armrests are higher and will look odd if placed into a '72 car. The '74 rear seats are also a bit taller than the corresponding early seats to compensate. Also--as seen in Bert's pix--the package tray is different for this set up as well, having a scallopped backing to fit the taller seats instead of the straight across format of the early models. The later cars also have a special reinforced mount that is not there in the early cars, to bolt the seatbelt retractor to the body.
Peter
coupeking