Restomods, engine and body swaps

mikemain

Reaction score
is there a place for restomods, engine and body swaps in this forum? I am owner of a body swapped M5

Attachments

• IMG_8663.jpg
    IMG_8663.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 179

mikemain

Reaction score
The universal beauty of the E9 coupé ...
It doesn't take much to break it.
And those wheels....
Sure, some people don't like it. Drive this car and you'll love it. A 430hp V8 is a very strong argument in limitless Germany. Those wheels by the way are inspired by the side vents of the e9 CS for the BMW Z8.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
There are numerous threads in the E9 Discussion and in the E9 Projects and Restorations subforums on modifications members have done to their cars where you can talk about modifications, and the Event Calendar thread is pretty comprehensive as to gatherings of coupe owners if you want to get together with other coupe people. And you have already found the E9 photos forum.

What are you seeking that doesn't fall into one of these categories?

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking great!
It's a true masterpiece of engineering.

Is this the MKO modified one?
As in it is a full M5, with the outer skin replaced with that of an e9?

Erik.
Looking at the rear valance it must be the MKO one.

I think some sacrifices have to be made to the original lines in order to make the body physically fit around the chassis of the e39 but I'm all for this. Better to have a car live on with a new breath of life than it sit in a field rotting away. Good to see this gets used as intended!

Plus the sound of an S62 coming from an e9 silhouette is addictive no matter what your preferences are....

mikemain

Reaction score
There are numerous threads in the E9 Discussion and in the E9 Projects and Restorations subforums on modifications members have done to their cars where you can talk about modifications, and the Event Calendar thread is pretty comprehensive as to gatherings of coupe owners if you want to get together with other coupe people. And you have already found the E9 photos forum.

What are you seeking that doesn't fall into one of these categories?
just something easier to find, a more general button like Original and Modified

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
just something easier to find, a more general button like Original and Modified
I believe the majority of the cars on the forum are modified. Very common modifications include M30b35 Engines, fixed magnet starters, internally regulated alternators, aftermarket steering wheels, five speed swaps, aluminum radiators, and wheels and tires.

We tend to blend projects and modificaitons together, often comparing the original part to others. So, for example, I was looking at a thread the other day on door brakes. Because of the expense and scarity of original door brakes, some members here have compared a handful of alternatives, from later BMWs and including a Mercedes part. Many of us have gone to the MB part because it is cheap, abundant and works better than the stock door brake. In this way, we not only discuss how to repair something, but also incorporate information on possible modifications. Members can then decide whether to stay original or make a modificaiton when addressing a particular issue.